New Build In Sanger, TX

boomersooner

Silver Supporter
Jun 25, 2017
Sanger, Tx
We bought our new home in the country 3 years ago. We specifically requested to look at homes with no pool because we didn't think we would ever use one. After being here for a while now and having the open space to enjoy outside, we've decided a pool would be a nice addition to our very large yard.

In addition to the pool, we are looking to build a cabana with a bathroom, storage, kitchen and fireplace (~550sf under cover). I'm open to feedback as I progress through the process.

Our journey so far (we started in July):

PB1 - Local company that came out and listened to what we wanted. I pulled a generic design from the net with a pool and cabana to use as reference. They seemed interested and said they would have a design in a couple weeks. I never heard back from them after one follow-up call. I wont bother with them.

PB2 - Major builder in the DFW area. Assembled a design and price within a week and had us sit down to review. We were very impressed with the design but not so much with the price. It was a bit of a shock and that was with me performing and buying some of the items to complete the kitchen. This PB would not provide any design copies for me to take which I feel was a mistake because at this point I don't recall what the things were that I really liked about his design.

PB3 - This builder decided to employ a landscape architect to assemble the initial design. It was nice but did not take into account all of the items I requested. We had to go back and fourth several times after I made it clear as day what design changes I wanted and it took several attempts for them to incorporate. Finally, I provided a design I created and asked him to price it up. He came back with a ball park figure that was slightly less than PB2 (~150k).

PB4 - This builder has built 75% of the pools in the 40 house neighborhood I live in. He knows the area and most all of my neighbors say they would use him again even though communication can be delayed at times. None have had issues with their pools. He priced the attached design at 140k for the pool and the cabana. He is working on the detailed proposal so I can share equipment, etc. once I have it. He uses all Jandy equipment.

PB5 - This builder was brought in more to price the cabana as he is a custom home builder in the area. He was also willing to price the pool as he has build a couple of pools. One of which I've seen and the work was excellent. His price on the pool is slightly higher than PB4. He has not provided a price on the cabana yet. He asked if I was will do to the cabana at cost plus. He would present invoices from the subs and I would pay that plus his mark-up for managing the project. He said this way I pay the true cost of the project and not something with added contingencies, etc. I still asked him for a price on what he would charge to build it so I have an idea of a starting point. His inexperience with pool building is a concern but he is extremely detailed and asked some great questions on design, etc.

Overhead shot of our yard:
Overhead View.JPG

Pool and cabana:
Turner Layout 3 (final).JPG

Wow - Great design and concept with the cabana! I am sure the bath will be a great decision and of course the bar. I so wish I had a bath outside and not have people trace through the house to get to the bathroom. One thought, how about enlarging the bath a tad to use as changing area w/ bench and hooks/lockers/shelves/cubbies?

I too love the cabana design. Very creative.

Have you considered having a pool builder do the pool and a different builder do the cabana? The pool builders can stub out the plumbing as they go. I just would feel a bit hesitant about PB#5 not having a lot of pool experience.

Maddie :flower:

Love the idea of a cabana, storage, bathroom area! I really wish we had land and space for that!
I agree with the above that I would create more space in the bathroom - so you have place for cubbies or a built in for people to put their things.
I can't tell by the picture what that is to the left of the bathroom - it does look like you have space though to expand or change up the 'floor plan' a bit. Very nice!

Love the size of the pool! The only thing that stands out to me - is I would want more an oval hot tub, rather that the shape they have created, just my personal preference. Also, the tanning ledge/stairs seem awkward to me - but love the style/idea!

Cannot wait to follow this build!! GOOD LUCK!!

Love the idea of a cabana, storage, bathroom area! I really wish we had land and space for that!
I agree with the above that I would create more space in the bathroom - so you have place for cubbies or a built in for people to put their things.
I can't tell by the picture what that is to the left of the bathroom - it does look like you have space though to expand or change up the 'floor plan' a bit. Very nice!

Love the size of the pool! The only thing that stands out to me - is I would want more an oval hot tub, rather that the shape they have created, just my personal preference. Also, the tanning ledge/stairs seem awkward to me - but love the style/idea!

Cannot wait to follow this build!! GOOD LUCK!!

There is definitely room to expand the bathroom and I didn't even think of cubby space for people to put their stuff. I will plan this as a bench/overhead storage/hanging space. Good idea.

The spa is shaped this way at my request. I personally think a free form pool with a perfectly shaped circular spa seems odd. My main concern in the orientation of the spa as it related to the cabana. For TV watching and conversation for those not in the spa sitting near the fire place, it may be too far.

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new build! Getting the right PB is critical so make sure you are able to communicate well. Are you on a well or city water? Will you be considering a SWG? Once you get more specifics on equipment you need to create a signature line with relevant info. Beautiful design!!

There is definitely room to expand the bathroom and I didn't even think of cubby space for people to put their stuff. I will plan this as a bench/overhead storage/hanging space. Good idea.

The spa is shaped this way at my request. I personally think a free form pool with a perfectly shaped circular spa seems odd. My main concern in the orientation of the spa as it related to the cabana. For TV watching and conversation for those not in the spa sitting near the fire place, it may be too far.

YES! That was my vision - bench/storage space! I have seen many options on Pinterest!

I completely agree and do not like a round spa! I guess it was the complete uneven free form of the hot tub that had me going HMM... LOL!

Where are you planning to have your TV?

- - - Updated - - -

Pool room 1.jpgPool room 2.jpg

Wow this is going to be an awesome build! I am extremely jealous of the cabana with the bathroom. Would love to have the room (and an HOA that would let me) to do that! We seem to build a lot of pools in Texas I keep seeing lots of Texas peeps :p

Edit- Yes as others said I would almost go straight across with the bathroom instead of the "L" closet I am assuming you are using for storage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update:

PB2 was given an opportunity to revisit the design and reprice. Based on his review, he wants us to come back this week to review his design and I'm sure we will get the hard press to sign a contract. He said his design will be better than the one shown above and his price will be "at or below" PB4's price. These guys are a large company and the guy we are working with is a personal friend. For this kind of money it's all business but I do like the fact that he is responsive and prompt with design/pricing. What I don't like is that his company does not allow designs to be taken away from their office.

PB4 provided his price which we found to be acceptable. He said he would provide a detailed proposal. That was Thursday of last week and I don't have anything yet. I intend on telling him I need something by tomorrow so a decision can be made by Friday.

PB5 came in with his price and it is less than PB4 by ~four grand. My concern again here is his lack of pool building experience. He wants the business since he is local but I'm not sure I want to be a test subject. The cost difference isn't enough to steer me in that direction.

This whole bid process is a bit of a beat down but it will be worth it in the end. I hope to have something agreed upon by the end of the week so we can get on the schedule.

Update:

PB2 was given an opportunity to revisit the design and reprice. Based on his review, he wants us to come back this week to review his design and I'm sure we will get the hard press to sign a contract. He said his design will be better than the one shown above and his price will be "at or below" PB4's price. These guys are a large company and the guy we are working with is a personal friend. For this kind of money it's all business but I do like the fact that he is responsive and prompt with design/pricing. What I don't like is that his company does not allow designs to be taken away from their office.

PB4 provided his price which we found to be acceptable. He said he would provide a detailed proposal. That was Thursday of last week and I don't have anything yet. I intend on telling him I need something by tomorrow so a decision can be made by Friday.

PB5 came in with his price and it is less than PB4 by ~four grand. My concern again here is his lack of pool building experience. He wants the business since he is local but I'm not sure I want to be a test subject. The cost difference isn't enough to steer me in that direction.

This whole bid process is a bit of a beat down but it will be worth it in the end. I hope to have something agreed upon by the end of the week so we can get on the schedule.

Would PB2 allow you to at least take pictures of the design!? That is a bit frustrating if in fact they are a larger company - why would they give the design that they have created for you, to you!? So odd.
Hopefully you get PB4's proposal soon!

Keep us posted!! :)

If i go with PB2 he will have to provide me something. We don't have an HOA but I do have to submit a design for approval to our one man architectural review board.

I just got the formal proposal from PB4. Over the last couple days it went up a couple thousand dollars. I'm not sure why that is. I'm sure he realized he missed something.

So we expect to be making a decision tomorrow based on our review of PB2's design. His pricing is good so it all hinges on whether we like the design he put together.

One thing I'm running into is PB2's insistence that his pool is larger than the other 2 builders that we are considering. He said he guarantees it is 2.5' longer and 2' wider. It seems like gallons can be subjective but square foot of pool should be very clear. I have the ability to perform my own take-offs and PB4 & PB5's pool is 695 square feet. The PB2 proposal for the one we will see tomorrow says it is 626 sf.

Am I on the right track here? I find it impossible that PB2 could have a longer and wider pool yet be 60sf smaller. I guess we will see tomorrow based on the actual design.

Then would you agree that measuring square foot of the pool would be a figure to use for definitive comparison?

Generally speaking, I would say yes, since that's (to me) is what would be perceived as size while in the pool. On the releasing of drawings - some PB won't release the drawings before payment because they consider it their intellectual property and frankly are afraid you'd take the drawing else where to get a bid based on their ideas. They should have been willing to send you a few 3D renderings though.

As a thought, I wouldn't use size (either linear ft or sq ft) as the definitive in price comparison. There are so many variables in pool equipment, construction technique, variable costs on coping, decking, finishes, etc, that it's just hard to gauge. Ultimately, how I picked my PB was that I was most comfortable dealing with them. I did not immediate cross shop price, although I did a few years back.

BTW - my in-laws live in Sanger. Small world!

We signed a contract with PB2 yesterday. He has to make a few tweaks to the location of the cabana but otherwise his design was great and his pricing was in line with where we wanted to be.

Depending on weather, we are a month out before we start digging. We can't wait.

BTW - my in-laws live in Sanger. Small world!

Sure is, we've lived here for 3 years now. We are actually west of town outside of city limits but we have Sanger address. We love it out here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.