CuLator vs Leslies Cellulose Fiber

ned8377

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
Wake Forest, NC
In general, is it feasible to filter iron out with cellulose fiber which would be cheaper than using CuLator. I think CuLator works but it is expensive. Are some cellulose fibers better than others? It is my understanding that iron needs to go through ascorbic acid to lift from surface and then sequester with HEDP. At that point CuLator will work and also cellulose fiber will work. Is that correct?

No.

Once the iron is in solution, cellulose fiber will not filter it.

I am also of the opinion that the CuLator is totally bogus. The way it is designed, where 99% of the water flows around the container holding their special exchange resin, renders the treatment pointless. Perhaps if it were designed where all of the was forced to flow through the resin then it might work. But the way it's setup now, it's just useless.

CuLator has good reviews on Amazon and other web sites - can you say they are bogus?
I'm less skeptical of CuLator than Matt is, but that is a pretty weak retort. Fake reviews on Amazon is a very common thing and pool chemicals get great reviews all the time from people who have no idea what they are doing. If we are going by reviews then test strips work great, dichlor powder is perfect for shocking, and copper algaecide will clear a swamp! I can find great reviews saying all of these things.

If you want to try CuLator then feel free, we would love to get any experience on a product. Not sure how you can get a good measurement of how effective it is though, just changing color doesn't really prove it removed the iron from your water.

I really wish TFP was more open to different opinions. I understand the BBB method and the TFP method and it has helped me tremendously. There just happen to be new things coming out that may be beneficial. How about Polyquat 60? That is not really new but it is something accepted by TFP in limited circumstances like when closing for the winter or doing metal treatment. I just think the TFP forum should be a little bit more open to new opinions and or products instead of panning everything that is new.

- - - Updated - - -

Donldson;1328066If you want to try CuLator then feel free said:
What have you or TFP got to offer that is better?

Polyfill ... it works. There is another thread using it right now.

We are not opposed to new ideas ... we are opposed to marketing hype and lack of scientific proof of effectiveness.

FYI, there is a Moderator who is trying the CuLator, I think with help from the manufacturer ... less than stellar results.

Were you around for the great new CYA Reducer? Wow was that touted as the next big miracle and we were VERY open minded to it as scientifically there was a chance. The manufacturer was even on TFP helping people use it .... then all the results started showing up. I am not sure there was 1 member who could actually show that it was effective (not counting the 1 Post new members who extolled its virtues with no proof) ... and then the manufacturer disappeared. :suspect:

I have read about at least two members who have had success this past summer using polyfill, polyester pillow stuffing to help remove iron.
They stuffed a 5 gallon pail with pillow stuffing then ran the return water through it with good results.
Thinking about this the other night and after examining the "rules"
Rub plastic it gets a static charge, even if your rub it with water.
Iron is magnetic.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.