Taylor K-1766 salt test and T-Cell-15 validity

MG386

Sep 10, 2016
Gilbert/AZ
Quick background:
New pool about 7 weeks old. Salt and SWG added 2 weeks ago after plaster/pebble cure. Aqua Plus automation panel and T-Cell-15 SWG.

Cell/Aqua Plus are reporting 2700-2800 instant and average readings. MY Taylor 1766 drop test has been very consistent at 3400ppm. I've tested 5 times (very carefully)since start, each a couple days apart with no additional salt.
pool builder gave me test strips witch i was going to trash, but i tried a salt test to verify the drop test and the strip shows about 3000 ish.

I emailed Hayward about this since a dirty or old cell will report low, but this one is new. Chlorine is being produced at the current 50% setting. Hayward wanted me to get a pool store test because they said home tests aren't accurate enough (cough cough).

So I went to leslies and they tested 2700ppm.

I guess my dilemma is, do I trust Hayward and leslies and dump another bag of salt in, or do I trust my test and try to get Hayward to do something about the SWG salinity reporting. I don't want to dump more salt, then have to drain and refill.

Do I go to 5 different stores and see what they get?

thanks.
Mike.

My view is that if the SWCG is happy, I am happy. So if it is generating chlorine, let it be.

You will not lose any water so your salt content should be very stable.

Take care.

If the K-1766 is reading normal and the cell is reading lower there are two possibilities -

1. The cell plates are full of calcium scale; or

2. The cell plate coatings are starting to fail.

Under no circumstances should add salt until you verify the integrity of the plates. Pull the cell and inspect.

Please post a full set of water test results.

Just tested for a fresh set of numbers
FC 5.0
PH 7.2
TA 110
CH 300
CYA 70
Salt 3400
CSI -0.38
temp 90

just added acid this morning, that's why PH and csi are a little low.

I guess I'll give my SWG a 50/50 acid cleaning even though its only 2 weeks old.

MY CSI over the last 2 weeks has been:

thanks for the input,
Mike.

I guess I'll give my SWG a 50/50 acid cleaning even though its only 2 weeks old.

Inspect it first. If no scale, do not do the acid. It effects the life of the cell.

Take care.

And NEVER use that much acid!! You'll destroy the plates. 5:1 dilution is MORE than enough to clean the plates.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I ended up 1/3acid but poured it out almost immediately, because there were no visible signs of buildup and no fizzle or bubbles.

I guess I'll just leave it alone since it's working, just bugs me that brand new equipment isn't indicating properly.

Thanks all for the help.
Mike.

My new t15 has been off by as much as 600 from my 1766 test. I was showing 3400 - 3600 and the swimpure was at 3000 - 3100, I recently lost a lot of salt due to rain and my 1766 is now down to 3000 my swimpure is showing 2800. Maybe it gets more inaccurate at higher salt density, but in all cases it's remained fully functional.

From the Hayward manual "Mild Acid Washing: Use only in severe cases where flushing and scraping will not remove the majority of deposits" So the cell should be visibly calcified to use acid and even then if you can't scrape most of it off with non metal scraper. Just something to note plus you have at least a 3 year warranty right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.