Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbe with dumb pump question

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbe with dumb pump question

ok, what is the trick to clean the pump strainer basket without loosing a ton of water? I have been turning the pump off with the filer set on filtration, is there a certin position the filter needs to be set on so you don't loose water when cleaning the strainer?

Thanks,
    YBnormal...have a pool
    15' x 30' Beachland AG Pool (12000 gal.)
    Hayward 1 HP Power-Flo LX Pump
    Hayward 18" Sand Filtration System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbe with dumb pump question

You should have a valve on both the skimmer line and the return line. Be sure those are turned off. I lose about a gallon of water when I clean the pump basket when I do that. I have a skimmer sock and almost never have to open the pump basket.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply, didn't know if I was doing anything wrong or not. I do not have a valve on either line so I guess when I hard line them in I will have to add valves. Yes I use the skimmer sock too, only when I run my aqua critter to clean the bottom is when I get the pump strainer full of leaves. Am I suppose to leave the skimmer sock/strainer in when cleaning the bottom ??? I have been taking it out.
    15' x 30' Beachland AG Pool (12000 gal.)
    Hayward 1 HP Power-Flo LX Pump
    Hayward 18" Sand Filtration System

4. Back To Top    #4

As Bama says there should be a valve between you skimmer and your filter basket to shut off the water flow.

Mine looks like this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Since you don't have valve you should plug the skimmer and the return. They make plugs for that purpose or you can use rubber sink stoppers just make sure they're not too small.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the same issue. I have an AG, without any valves like that. My pool uses hoses instead of pvc. The skimmer is above the pump, so naturally the water drains out as soon as you try to open the pump strainer basket.

When I close the pool this year, is there a way to rig a shut off valve like the one shown? Where would I get them?
    24'x4' AGP Round
    S166T Hayward Sand Filter
    S48K2A2 Hayward Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

You can wait till you close or you can do it now. Either way you can get the valves at your local building supply store. Since you use hoses you'll need some adaptors too but they'll have them as well.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the info.

Would I cut the hose, put the valve in between the two pieces and clamp the hoses onto the valvue? Hope that makes sense. I can picture what I'm trying to say.
    24'x4' AGP Round
    S48K2A2 Hayward Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a ball valve on each side. One end screws into the bottom of the skimmer and the hose is attached to a union (male or female, never know the difference) at the other end on the pump side. On the return side, one end is screwed into the return and the hose from the filter is attached to the other end. Here is a picture of my setup:

ETA: Here is a picture of the ball valve by itself:

Nicole

21' AGP (10,400g)
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix dual-speed 1HP pump, 75 sq ft Waterway cartridge filter
    4G Liquidator, Aquabot POOL ROVER S2-40

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the picture, that helps me alot. I take it that it's screwed into the skimmer and return port with plummer's tape?

I'll look for those valves and have them ready when I close the pool. I don't have any big trees around, so I don't think it's that big of deal right now.
    24'x4' AGP Round
    S48K2A2 Hayward Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

hey y.b.... i'm in the same boat equipment-wise as you. since i been useing the sock, i rarely have to clean the pump basket, but if i do, i just turn the multi-port valve to "closed" and then i take out the skimmer basket and cram a sponge down in "skimmer hole" and then open the pump basket. very little water loss that way. the tricky part is ya just gotta remember to REMOVE the sponge before ya turn everything back on back on.
    30' round above ground - 21000 gal. (shade ONLY in the evening),
    pentair dynamo 1.5 hp pump,
    pentair sand dollar 150 lb.sand filter,
    bbb method.

12. Back To Top    #12

I have the same problem but I am just finishing replumbing my in-ground pool, should I install the ball valve right before the pump and after the 3-way valve that does suction from pool and spa?

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdvldog
    Thanks for the picture, that helps me alot. I take it that it's screwed into the skimmer and return port with plummer's tape?

I'll look for those valves and have them ready when I close the pool. I don't have any big trees around, so I don't think it's that big of deal right now.
    Yes, I used teflon tape, especially on the hose connection.
    Nicole

21' AGP (10,400g)
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix dual-speed 1HP pump, 75 sq ft Waterway cartridge filter
    4G Liquidator, Aquabot POOL ROVER S2-40