SWG or Stenner and bleach

Jul 20, 2017
Lake Winnebago, MO
Looking to either go SWG or Stenner and stay with liquid, I know all the equipment I would need to go Stenner but can you experts school me on what I'd need to do a SWG system (cell, controller,??, what are the pros and cons to each? 21,000 IG vinyl, S200 sand filter, 3/4 HP pump, 1 skimmer 1 main drain 2 returns.

If you do not want to automate then you can get nearly any SWCG as long as it is rated for 2X your pool volume. A complete unit will come with its power supply and cell. You hire an electrician to wire it and plumber to install or DIY both.

The pro to a SWCG is it creates chlorine when on, all the time.
The con is upfront cost and a potential for rising pH needing acid to be added more often.

The Stenner is less expensive up front.
It needs to be refilled with liquid chlorine at some interval. It add bleach in bursts, when you program it to add.
It requires maintenance, but not much.

Hope that helps.

It does help, I figured the cost of the stenner and a good timer along with barrel would get me close to the cost of the swg, I'm handy so it would be a DIY project, my pad and equipment is about 125' from the house can these SWG controllers be mounted outside in a 4 season climate? Looked as tho a decent system could be purchased for around $900.00 if I'm looking at them correctly.

Many people in harsh winter climates remove the cell and place a 'dummy' cell (straight pipe with unions) in its place during the winter.

SWCG''s typically will not generate with pool water temps below 60 F or so. I turn mine off at 70 F and use bleach. But I live in the SW desert. Our winter is like a cool summer day in your area ---

Take care.

Thanks, do some of you guys use a Stenner pump to add acid to control PH rise? I see in your pic a tank and Stenner in background.

pH rise or fall is a consequence of many factors, most notably your TA and the quality (pH, TA) of your fill water as well as sources of aeration. While an acid dosing system adds convenience, they are hardly necessary. In many areas of the country, stabilizing pH is nothing more than controlling the TA of your pool's water. Using a solar cover on a pool can all but stop pH changes. One problem that comes up with acid pumps is that they invariable reduce TA and, without constant monitoring, you could find yourself Yo-Yo'ing with pH and TA fluctuations.

Before adding any kind of acid dosing system, I would highly recommend you simply adjust your TA to find the sweet spot that lets you make the least frequent amount of acid additions. There are many folks on TFP that almost never have to add acid once TA is balanced properly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I installed a 55 gallon drum of chlorine and a stenner pump under my house. I opened the pool mid April and have not added any additional chemicals to the pool. I add half my chlorine in the early am and the other half mid afternoon and have had zero problems. I found the barrel for free and the stenner pump on craigslist for $50. 55 gallons of chlorine was $140 for 12.5%+. So I cannot complain about the cost. I figured it I went with a SWG that I would still end up buying a stenner pump for the acid injection. Maybe one day I will but for now I am happy with my decision! and if I do decide to go SWG, I already have the stenner pump setup and ready.

I have the CircuPool RJ60 and I'm very happy with it. I recently needed to replace a part due to my landscaper pulling out the wires to my flow switch and the folks at CircuPool were pleasant and helpful.

Under normal conditions, I add acid once every two weeks or so. I'm adding acid more frequently right now because I have new plaster and I'm lowering my TA. Once I get my TA back to where it needs to be and after my plaster finishes curing, I'll be back to adding once every two weeks or so.

Here is a chart that compares various SWG: Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features

donzi,

I have the regular RJ model, not sure if the "Plus" is really worth the extra $$. The key is to test your pool water with one of the recommended kits and keeping your PH and CSI in balance so that you don't premature ruin your SWG. Use Pool Math (at the top of this page) or download the Pool Math app to calculate your CSI.

Keeping PH and CSI in check will keep calcium from forming on the cell which means fewer is any acid wash cleanings. The more you have to clean the cell with acid, the shorter the life expectancy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.