Balboa Board and Overheating

Apr 15, 2016
Poplarville, MS
Greetings.
This is my second spa and the first time I've even encountered this situation. My spa is running a Balboa PVS500Z control pak/heater and a few weeks ago the spa was going way beyond the heater set point. As in the spa was hitting 108 degrees plus. Nothing I tried would cool it down so eventually I cut the GFCI to let it cool. Then it would not power up a bit.

Because of time constraints, I called a tech out. First off he said we were not getting any power off the GFCI (fair enough I installed that in 2003) we we replaced that breaker ($90).

Then as he started reading the codes on the Balboa he told me it appeared the board must have been hit by a surge. And it was shot. He mentioned possibly getting a used board but then called back and said $885 installed. I mentioned I thought I could get the controller for less and he grumbled about spaguts selling remanufactured stuff. Anyway...

Now, I have replaced everything in my past spa with stuff from spaguts.com, and certainly see that as a more economical way to go. (they even sell the pack for $379) Plus they have their own brand for 430 with a 3 year warranty.

Has anyone ever experienced that overheating issue?

Do you think it was really a surge/lightning? Nothing else in the house seems to be affected.

d,

I think the likely hood of the controller taking a surge and nothing else being damaged is unlikely.

Not sure what all you replaced, but since it is now working, it does sound as if the controller was the issue.

You don't work for Spaguts do you? Your question sounds more like an ad for them than an actual question... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

No I don't work for Spaguts, just find myself back to them when the tech was charging me $400 more for the spa pack then they do. A good resource.

My GFCI is replaced and I'll put the new pack in this week and see if that works.

Still wondering if anyone has ever experienced that type of heating issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.