Diatomaceous Earth Filter Aid

There are three types of pool filters: Sand, Cartridge and DE.

THe DE filter obviously uses DE, but sand filters too can add a smidgen of DE (via skimmer) to the top of their sand to really catch the microscopic debris.

Cartridge filters do NOT use DE, although apparently one Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge filter can use it on a very limited basis.

Maddie :flower:

It depends on which type filter. DE must be used in a DE filter. DE may be added to a sand filter. DE should NOT be used in a cartridge filter.

Yep, the DE goes out with the backwash water, so it has to be replenished. I have a box of it that will last me around 10 years because it's only 1/2c to 1c per recharge. Here's the method: Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

I got the DE from directpoolsupplies.com.au. Be sure not to use food or garden grade, only pool grade.

Read the pool school link above you really need to keep an eye on your filter pressure and you will have to backwash more frequently if you add DE all the time. That's not a great thing if you have metal issues in your fill water or you are filling from a well.

I add about half a red SOLO cups worth of DE to my sand filter every time I backwash. I got a 20lb box of Pool DE from home depot and fit as much as I could into a five gallon bucket that I keep next to my skimmer. In two years time I almost have enough room at the top of the bucket that I don't have to dig a hole to bury my high tech measuring cup so that the lid doesn't crush it. What I couldn't fit in the bucket is still in the box and the box is about half full still I think.

Do I really need the DE? No not really.

Is my pool crystal clear even at night with the pool light on? You betcha.

I don't know if this is related to recycled glass filter media or not, but when I used the method I linked, I settled at around 1.25 cups DE per re-charge to get the 1 PSI rise, and it was certainly effective. Around 2 weeks later though, I saw a jump in pressure from maybe 10% over clean pressure up to around 40% over clean pressure. I was thinking I must have algae, did an OCLT, and SLAMd the pool even though the OCLT was zero. But since then, I noticed that it happened pretty much every time, around 2 weeks after adding the DE. So now I use 1/2 cup, and it works fine with normal pressure rise. My theory is that is has something to do with coating of children with the sunscreen spatula, but that's far from a tested result!

Great warning from Chuck about how extra filtration means extra backwashing, which can be important depending on your situation. If I skip the DE, I still get plenty of comments about how clear the water is, but I can notice the difference myself, especially at night near the lights, as Chuck mentioned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Never heard of using perlite in a filter here on TFP, but try using the search function. I've used heaps of perlite in horticulture and it breaks up real easy, but I have no idea how small. You can get Pool DE from directpoolsupplies.com in a few days. That's where I ordered mine.

In case you saved a heap of money, or even just a bit, this is just a reminder that TFP is a charitable organization and survives on modest one-time donations (tax deductible in USA). There are some benefits and freebies that you can read about at: CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

You get a supporter badge by your name, and we get to keep the site free of advertisements!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.