Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE Filter Not Functioning Properly?

1. Back To Top    #1

DE Filter Not Functioning Properly?

Hi,
    I am just getting over an extensive shocking phase which means that I must clean my filter twice-three times per day. Usually I can get 2.5 hours on a fresh cleaning. I have had the filter for three years and when I open the filter to clean it there is very little DE on the filter element itself and once I pull the element out the DE is sitting on the bottom of the filter housing in a pile. I do not know if this is because after I pull the plug to let the water out it brings the DE to the bottom or the filter is simply not functioning how it should. I tried to fix the problem by putting less DE in the filter but there was no difference. I put the DE in through the skimmer and make a slurry of DE in water before pouring it?

What's Wrong?
    16' x 32', 18, 240 gal., vinyl lined, in ground pool
    Hayward 1.5 HP SuperPump, Hayward Pro-Grid DE3620 Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE Filter Not Functioning Properly?

How old are the grids? Any of them torn or have broken 'sockets' where they plug in to the manifold? When was the last time you took them completely apart and gave them a good cleaning?
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

3. Back To Top    #3

I have been cleaning it nearly daily for the past week by taking apart the filter. There are no tears from what I can see.
    16' x 32', 18, 240 gal., vinyl lined, in ground pool
    Hayward 1.5 HP SuperPump, Hayward Pro-Grid DE3620 Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I've had the same problem in the past. I believe it is because whatever organics you killed in the water get mixed with the DE and for whatever reason prevent it from coating the grids. Just keep cleaning and adding DE until you get the water clear. Once the water is clear you will be fine.
    18k Inground Plaster pool / TriStar Variable Speed Pump and Controller
    48sq ft Hayward DE filter/ Swim pure Plus 40k cell / Kreepy Krauly
    Solaxx Ph-Tek

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi all! I am new to this site, and I am having a tough time trying to post a new question.
    I have a hayward perflex filter. This is my second filter because de was getting into the pool. It got in from day one and after a few years we bought a new filter...same problem. Any ideas?
    18'x52, Hayward "The Missile filter
    Southern Wisconsin
    I use a chlorine floater and liquid chlorine as needed
    Constant algae problem
    Pool is under a large Elm, doesn't get sunlight all day

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by verun
    I have been cleaning it nearly daily for the past week by taking apart the filter. There are no tears from what I can see.
    Hi,
    do you "bump" before you drain the filter? That knocks some of the DE off the filter. Unless mine is really dirty it knocks off about 90% when bumped.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Verun, sorry it took a second look at this to see a possible cause

If the filter material itself were congested, the DE wouldn't be able to stick to it as the waterflow is low - disregard this if the gauge shows a normal psi and the return flow is 'normal' after cleaning the filter.

If the psi is higher than normal after cleaning or the flow diminished, it's time for a chemical cleaning of the grids/ fingers
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)