Just getting started in Frisco, TX

And the material choices.

Materials 1.jpg

Decided against the flagstone for the coping and went with lueder stone instead. Just wanted something smoother and provide some contrast. Also thought the pool tile was unique to tie it all together.

Materials 2.jpg

We did decide on OK flagstone for the wall veneer to tie in the grotto. Hopefully will all look great.

Nice choices...you will really like the lighting in the steps and also think of where else you may want it...now is the time to do it and be done. Here is a pick of mine and it was a great call I made last minute...
IMG_3330.jpg
IMG_3334.jpg

Wish I had put some in my retaining wall as well to light up the tree area...
IMG_3295.jpg

Hindsight is 20-20 but its not too hard to add later. My point give it some thought, stand in your yard at night and look around...just one mans thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

Check out Kimber1's post number 80 and see what she came up with. I think its awesome and its really easy to get creative on lighting.

Nice choices...you will really like the lighting in the steps and also think of where else you may want it...now is the time to do it and be done. Here is a pick of mine and it was a great call I made last minute...

It's funny you mention lighting because I literally just wondered that looking at the plans. Your step lighting very nice.

I saw that you mentioned it on your plans. Ask the builder how much it is to add lighting. My lights and transformer was "supposedly" $500. Don't let them overcharge you...

Wonder if you got bids from the same 2 companies. We are in Prosper, our story of the two PBs is almost identical to yours. Signed with PB 2 and getting decking this week.

My only advice is the check the travertine if you are going to have kids running around. Friends have it and it is beautiful, but theirs gets very slick when wet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That waterline tile is going to be fun to go through and pick your fav pieces to put in "eye sight" placement aka where the eyes land first when you walk out to the pool.

Kim:kim:

I agree. I want more of the lower of the two pieces to be in eye sight.

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder if you got bids from the same 2 companies. We are in Prosper, our story of the two PBs is almost identical to yours. Signed with PB 2 and getting decking this week.

My only advice is the check the travertine if you are going to have kids running around. Friends have it and it is beautiful, but theirs gets very slick when wet.

Sent you a PM. The PB had a sample outside that we looked at and it had just rained. Didn't seem bad, but who knows what they will deliver. Appreciate the warning though.

PB2 rendering shows a solid roof (tied to existing structure) over the patio vs. a pegola like structure from PB1. My personal preference is a solid roof for a multitude of reasons.

Guess I should have mentioned. Structure is already in place. Did that a few years ago.

rsz_2017-07-28_081357_hdr.jpg

A little messy in this picture, but we love the shade. Also, I completely agree about the pergola comment. They are pretty much useless in Texas.

How are things coming along?

Just playing the waiting game at this point. We had to find a copy of the survey with the surveyors stamp on it to submit for permit. Well the original survey was done in 2005 and come to find out, the survey company has since ceased doing business and the person that did the survey passed away 3 years ago. Bummer. However, somehow the PB was able to find a spin off company that's maintaining the archives for the previous company and was able to produce a stamped version. No idea how they did that, but can't argue with results.

So, we are in for permit and submitted to the HOA. However, I need to get stuff GONE from my backyard and due to family being in town, I can't start until next weekend. I think I've been able to pre-sell the kids playset to a neighbor. Unfortunately that means I will have to help them move it. Not sure what to do on the hot tub. Thinking Craigslist, but man some of those folks can be.....strange.

- - - Updated - - -

is your PB Riverbend Sandler?

Yep. Looks like you are using them too. So far so good?

Yep. Looks like you are using them too. So far so good?
I could tell based on your your plan and some of the color selection pictures. We're not very far into the process but so far they've been awesome, they've been super accommodating during the design phase(I feel like I called the designer every few days to throw a random "what if" at him). We have permits, loan is funded, did pre build on site meeting, etc. They are waiting for the HOA approval so they can dig. The real test will begin once they start. I feel really good about them, we met with 6 PBs and did a bunch of research, they definitely stood out. There are a couple other people on here that built with them(the putting green/Cabana pool in Lucas, and the recent build in Allen), they said good things. Good luck I'll be following.

I could tell based on your your plan and some of the color selection pictures. We're not very far into the process but so far they've been awesome, they've been super accommodating during the design phase(I feel like I called the designer every few days to throw a random "what if" at him). We have permits, loan is funded, did pre build on site meeting, etc. They are waiting for the HOA approval so they can dig. The real test will begin once they start. I feel really good about them, we met with 6 PBs and did a bunch of research, they definitely stood out. There are a couple other people on here that built with them(the putting green/Cabana pool in Lucas, and the recent build in Allen), they said good things. Good luck I'll be following.

Likewise!! Hopefully your HOA gets in gear.

-Jandy 60 SqFt DE Filter with Sight Glass on Backwash line to P-Trap

We bought the biggest filter we could find to keep the back pressure down in the system and also to reduce how often we have to clean the filters. We also went with cartridge filters and have had no issues with cloudiness in the pool.

-Jandy 2.0Hp Variable Speed Circulation Pump

An excellent choice, if you have Coserve as your energy provider they offer a nice rebate on the pump (I think $150).

-Aqua Pure Automatic Salt Chlorine System

Caution is advised here. Our neighbors have had issues with the SWG system and the coping/grout getting damaged. We chose to use the iaqualink with two stenner pumps that we control the time on, we don't have an automated testing system.

-Jandy PDA PS6 Controller

Ask for the PS8 controller, it's just a software upgrade and shouldn't be more expensive. The box should be able to support it. It's much more difficult to get the upgrade after the installation is complete.

Also considering getting the version that works with the iPad, that's what we have and absolutely love it. We can start heating the spa from anywhere.

-Jandy JXi400 Natural Gas Heater 400,000 BTU

Another good choice. Ask about the automated bypass. This new feature automatically shuts off most of the water flowing through the water heater when it's not in use, instead it just redirects the water back into the return pipe. You can see a difference in the GPM when the bypass is active. The heater will automatically open the bypass valve when required.

If you decide not to go with the bypass right now, make sure that they install a heater with the latest board. They had to replace the board in our heater in order to support the bypass.

-Polaris 3900 Complete with booster pump

We did a dolphin M5 pool cleaner, it uses 180 watts compared to the booster pump that uses a lot more energy. We love the pool cleaner, the only bad thing is that we can't leave it in the pool. Over time the chlorine will damage the seals on the cleaner.

The M5 cleans really well, including the tile around the edge of the pool. It crawls all the way up to the top of the plaster and oscillates at the tile level while the brushes are running.

If you choose the M5, make sure to clean the filters with cascade (instructions online) every 3 months, otherwise it won't have enough water pressure to reach the tiles.

-1.5 HP Stealth Booster pump

See above notes

-580 SF of travertine pavers
-5 Returns, 2 Skimmers

Our pool builder installed the A&A venturi skimmers, where the water is pushed through the skimmer instead of pulled. They work very well when clean and are extremely efficient with a variable speed pump. We run our system at 2200 RPM and the skimmers work great. I typically take a bucket of water every two days and swirl the skimmer nets in the water to get them clean.

Also, don't take the socks off the skimmers to often as they do tend to stretch when you take them off.

The valves to these two skimmers should be fully open.

-A&A Top to Bottom plus Circulation system

Great choice. The anti suction (rectangular) drains work very well. Frisco required us to install four drains in the pool (two in the floor and two on the side). The spa has two drains.

I was good with the extra drains, with my nephews and neices in the pool I don't have to worry about an injury due to the drains.

-Powerclean ultra in-line chlorinator
-Multicolor LED lights 2 in pool 1 in spa

If these are the Savi lights, make sure you get the latest version. The older version required a re-run of the wiring. Within a year and a half they had to replace all three.

The new ones are much better, you can just replace the cartridge without having to completely pull the wire through.

-iAqualink iq20A and Nature 2 Fusion

We do not use the fusion anymore for the pucks (due to CYA concerns) and the concern that the mineral cartridge can deteriorate and send the ion beeds into the pool. We heard that the beeds can actually stain the bottom of the pool.

Instead we just follow the recommendations of the the trouble free pool web site for chlorine.

So far no issues.

I strongly encourage you to spend the extra money on the iPad version of aqualink. Also, if you have a router in the house they can run an ethernet cable so that the iAquaLink uses your more secure network then the iAquaLink default wireless.

Get the PS8 for future expansion. (like adding valves, we added one to automatically send hot water to the bottom of the pool through some returns that we added for a heat pump).

-Polaris 220V 1.5Hp blower

Not sure as to how far along they are on your pool. We had a big issue with the spa blower. In the side of the spa is something called a Hartford Loop. The purpose of this loop is to prevent water from flowing back into the spa line and restricting the flow of air.

Our Hartford Loop was initially placed under the water level of the spa causing a backflow. They ended up having to break into the gunnite to raise the loop.

If they haven't gunnited yet, make sure the loop is above the water level in the spa or ask the pool builder to explain it to you. One way to tell is that the Hartford Loop should be sticking out of the gunite a little bit. They should have to make a slight indention into the coping to accept it.

-8 jets in the spa with captains chair

Another note:
* make sure to get a suction port in the skimmer since the venturi skimmers do not require suction. If you need to vacuum out the pool because of algae or some other item you'll be glad you did.
* have the pool builder spray the gunite with aquron (seals the gunnite) within a day of the gunite spray. This will help prevent aflourencense (bad spelling) which is metal stains coming through the plaster
* we didn't go with pavers, we went with concrete (with fiber) underneath the travertine. After five years the pavers start to become uneven. The only issue with concrete is if they have to fix something, it's much easier with the pavers
* We added helical (round) peers, 12 of them, under the pool. We've had people around Frisco tell us that the ground can sometimes sink. One person had their pool sink 3" one year, then rose 3" the next year. Both times they had to redo the plumbing. It's an expensive option but a good insurance policy.
* If you are redoing the fence, consider using drip lines for the sprinkler instead of sprayers. Your fence will look new for a much longer time period. If you use the drip lines, make sure they put pressure regulators on each line. The pool builders sprinkler team did not do that and now we are having to pay for someone to fix it correctly. If you know of a good sprinkler vendor that isn't associated with the pool company you might consider choosing them.
* Make sure they install an overflow line to the pool. We thought it was standard but apparently they didn't do this for the neighbors pool. Their pool has overflowed several times with the rain. Also, put a Jandy two way valve on the overflow line so that you can close the overflow when people are in the pool. Saves quite a bit of water.
* Connect your pool fill to the sprinkler system and consider getting a Rachio sprinkler controller. We use our iPad to configure the sprinkler system so that we can set the amount of time the pool fill runs each day. If there is rain or predicted rain the sprinkler will not fill the pool. Also, if you want to add more water to the pool you simply use your iPad to run the pool fill for however many minutes you need. It's worked great so far.
* Consider getting a gallon per minute indicator for your return lines. This will help you adjust the pumps to just the right speed for running the pool water through the filter.

Enjoy the pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.