Best SWG to purchase

One that is rated for at least twice your pool size.

Unless you have automation and wish the equipment to talk to each other, it does not matter much after that.

Take care.

Thanks for your quick reply. What I am looking for is inputs on what might be the most reliable, lowest maintenance system. Of course I realize that keeping on top of balancing is very important to the SWG longevity.

Are you going to be installing yourself or paying an installer? If installer at a chain (Leslies) or other?
Do you want most popular name brand (i.e. Hayward t15 or Pentair IC40) or longest warranty (circupool - 7 years)?

George,

I am a very biased Pentair guy, but if I was going with just a SWCG and not tying into any automation, I too would go with the CircuPool. And I would go for the biggest one they had... that was at least 2 x the volume of my pool..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I've been using a Hayward AquaRite AQR15 for 12 years now. Very happy with it. If it blew up today, I would have a new one on order within hours.

At 40k rating it should be plenty for a pool your size. It's probably the most recommended unit on the forum. With a VS pump and no automation, you will need either a power relay or a separate timer to control the SWG.

Some advantages:
1. control in 1% increments even without automation.
2. Among the lowest cost for replacement cells. My cells have been lasting about 5.5 years on average and cost $429 for OEM Hayward replacement cell. Makes my chlorine cost for a year round 19 k pool about $75 per year.
3. Separate flow switch which is cheap and easy to replace.
4. 40k rating for the AQR15
5. Relatively low initial price - less than $850 for full system.

I am very happy with my CircuPool RJ SWG. It is very economical. I do not have any electrical experience and had no troubles installing it. My mid-20s son did the PVC work. It was pretty easy. I do not have any automation and use a intermatic timer.

There is no best unit, they all have something that makes one better than the other. It might be price, warranty terms, reliability, control features, ease of troubleshooting, warranty service in your area.

You want a 40,000 gallon rated system at the minimum.

I am also very happy with my Circupool RJ60+. I had a neighbor over last week who wanted to test my water with another non-recommended test kit.
It was a cool setup but when he tested for CCs his eyes grew wide and he said "It's not even registering a hundredth of a ppm. That's amazing!" The RJ+
units are adjustable in increments of 5% to make dialing the CL2 very easy and incredibly consistent. I also love the fact that you can watch the CL2 gas
"boiling" off of the titanium plates so you know when it's running. Some of the units you cannot tell so easily. I can see mine from being in the pool from 30'
away. Good luck with your choice!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am probably going to be pulling the trigger for a SWG soon as well. My pool is about 29,000 gallons. As most have stated I should be looking at a system that can handle double my pool size. Can someone recommend a good system that would meet that requirement?

I am probably going to be pulling the trigger for a SWG soon as well. My pool is about 29,000 gallons. As most have stated I should be looking at a system that can handle double my pool size. Can someone recommend a good system that would meet that requirement?

For stand alone systems Circupool is mentioned favorably in this thread and on this forum. They make a 60000 gallon rated unit.
If you have Pentair equipment and wish to automate then the IC60 would work.

Take care.

For stand alone systems Circupool is mentioned favorably in this thread and on this forum. They make a 60000 gallon rated unit.
If you have Pentair equipment and wish to automate then the IC60 would work.

Take care.

I have been looking at the IC60 but am confused as to what automation goes with it. Does anyone have any insight on what type of automation I should be looking at from Pentair?

I have been looking at the IC60 but am confused as to what automation goes with it. Does anyone have any insight on what type of automation I should be looking at from Pentair?
IF -- you have a Pentair VS pump and you install a Pentair SWCG you can use an EasyTouch controller to manage them. Automation depends on what you want it to control and do.

Might want to start a separate thread so we do not hijack the OP's ---

Take care.

I really like the PureLine CrystalPure Salt Chlorine Generator it is very similar to the Hayward AquaRite but at much better price. We have had great success with this unit.
It appears to be a knockoff fo the Hayward Goldline/AquaRite units. Do you who makes it? Is there any support? I went to the website link (PureLine) listed in the units manual, although salt systems are listed on the home page, none of the links on their web page work. Looks pretty shady.

Which salt system allows for a higher concentration of salt? Some will warn you at 4500 ppm while others, such as my Hayward Aqua Rite, stops producing chlorine. I find it really finicky when it comes to that. Been battling it all summer, first with phosphates and now salt. Really at the end of my wits and looking for a more flexible system. My previous Zodiac Clearwater system went over 10 years with no hassles or worries. The AquaRite, and we have all Hayward products and like them, has been less than optimal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.