zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Hi,

I'm Zea from the Texas Gulf Coast.

This is my fourth season with my above ground pool, which I love. Currently dealing with green, cloudy water, which I don't love! My questions don't have to deal with the current state of my water. I've been doing the bleach thing the last couple of days and are slowly making progress. I hope I can make this system work since I have probably shelled out more to Leslie's Pools than I have for my son's college tuition!

Anyway, question 1 is this; has anyone had a problem with the metal mounting brackets rusting out on their pump?

I have a Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp pump and the brackets have rusted completely through. I have been told the only way to fix it is too replace the pump motor since the brackets are part of the motor housing. The pump doesn't move around on its own and I have used some nylon strapping to hold it in place. Of course the rust started after the 1 year warranty period. :grrrr: Anyone have another solution?

Also, anyone have any experience dealing with racoons? They live near by and have decided my pool is perfect for washing their food at night! I didn't put a cover on last winter because I was afraid they would tear it up to get at the water. Any ideas?

Sorry for the long post. Love all the information!

I have two pumps; a main filter pump and a booster pump for the polaris cleaner. The pool was built in 1991 and I'm on my third set of pumps. The first set were bolted down using the mounting feet. These rusted off like yours. I made a set of wooden blocks rounded out to fit the motor then used shims to level it up and attached the blocks to concrete anchors. This worked pretty well for about two years then the blocks rotted out and I had the same problem over again. It was getting time to replace the pumps the first time so when I got the new ones I sat them on the concrete pad without anchors and piped them up that way intending to anchor them down later in the week. That was about 12 or 13 years ago and I never did anchor them down. The current set is about three old and they are not anchored. I've never had a problem with any of them due to a lack of anchors.

As for the raccoons my pool is about 25 feet from a flowing stream that enters a swamp about a quarter mile from my back yard. About every other year I get raccoons that decide one or the other trees in my yard is a good nesting site and they move in. They get in fights with the local dogs (and kill some of them), they get in the garbage cans, and they dig holes under my 6 foot wooden fence to get at the pool. The only way I or any of my neighbors have been able to get rid of them is by trapping or shooting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.