Dark Shadows in the Pool???

Jul 23, 2017
Reseda
Hi pool people!

Long time pool owner who knows a lot about things in the pool -- but I've never seen this before!

Still images don't really do it justice, so I took a picture. It doesn't seem like normal reflections (the kind you get from a leaf in the water or something else) but rather is almost... smokier? The way it moves and dissipates. And it happens most frequently when the pool pump is turned on.

Copy of 20170723 1418361 - YouTube

(Please make the video big, as it's easier to see that way)

The pool developed a little bit of algae that we shocked out, but these shadows presented a few days later. You can only see them when light shines down on them - either natural sunlight or, at night, with a flashlight (though they are much fainter).

If anyone can explain this (and yes, I will happily accept a simple answer!! I'm just concerned now about something else growing in the pool) I would be most, most, most appreciative!! I want to be able to swim in my pool while it's nice and hot :(:(

Oh, and I promise, we haven't been doing any physics experiments with the pool!! No vortex creation or weird stuff poured in! ;)

Welcome to TFP :handwave:

Our standard request is for a full set of test results-
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

and I have to wonder about any metals in the water or use of copper/silver products or algaecides?

I see you're using pucks in a floater. Is that your standard way of sanitizing?

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.