Green pool - pollen or algae? - test results and photo

rcp14

Bronze Supporter
Jun 13, 2017
Middlesex, NJ
Hi. We had a storm 3 nights ago and our Maple tree dropped a ton of seeds in the pool. Two days later it looked a little green, but so faint I wasn't sure if it was or wasn't. Today it has a definite green tint. The water is clear. My husband vacuumed the pool this morning, but I can now see a film on the bottom in some areas that is sort of yellowish brown...not sure if that's pollen, algae or just dirt. We haven't seen anything floating on the surface of the water, like pollen or a film. Test results are below and I'll try to attach a photo from my phone after posting.

Any thoughts on what's causing this and steps to get it clear?

Thanks!!

FC: 2
CC: 1
TC: 3
CH: 250
Alk: 60
CYA: 50
pH: 7.2-7.5
Salt: 2,640

- - - Updated - - -

20170723_165333-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20170723_165259-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if the pictures will help. When I look at them on my phone the water is clearly green, but on my computer screen the water looks fine. The water definitely has a green tint to it, despite how the pictures may look.

rcp,

With a CYA of 50 the very minimum your FC should ever be is 4 ppm. With a CC level of 1, and a very low FC level of 2 suggests that what you have is Algae.

See this chart for you CYA to FC levels... (Under salt pool)... [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

You can double check by doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT)... Here is how... Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

If you fail the OCLT you will need to do a SLAM... Here are the SLAM instructions.. SLAM Process

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi. Can someone tell me how long I need to maintain SLAM level? I'm unclear on this from the SLAM article. FC level went down just 1 ppm overnight, CC is at .5 and the water is clear, but still a lovely shade of green. Does this mean the algae is dead and I just have to wait for the filter to clear it or do I need to maintain SLAM level until the water is no longer green? Thanks!

Can you post a photo, sometimes a clear green pool has a build up of copper in it. The only way I've heard of to get rid of copper is to drain the pool. Copper typically gets into pools that have algaecides added or many products with the word blue in the name.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.