Just refilled pool, now chlorine won't stay up!

Jun 18, 2017
Middleburg, FL
We just drained, sanitized, and refilled our 3600 gallon frame pool. After the first round of testing, I used the pool math calculator and added muriatic acid and bleach.
This morning the pH was down, but there is NO chlorine. Is this normal for a start up?

I am using a drop test kit, I can't afford to get a Taylor right now. (I know that question is always the first asked)

If a fresh fill there is no CYA in the water. Chlorine half life with 0 CYA is about 30 minutes in the sun.

Put enough CYA powder in a sock to get to 50 ppm and let hang in front of a return, squeeze it occasionally to get it dissolved.

Maintain bleach adds based on the CYA of 50. Might want to add two or three times a day for a couple days until you get the CYA distributed.

Take care.

Put enough CYA powder in a sock to get to 50 ppm and let hang in front of a return, squeeze it occasionally to get it dissolved.

I have read put the sock near the return, and put the sock in the skimmer - does it matter? Is one better than the other? I only ask because I have 4 rambunctious kids in and out of the pool and I can only imagine what they might do to anything floating (or suspended) in the pool.

Actually, they can help it dissolve by squeezing the sock! Now, they should not get it in their eyes or eat it --

The only reason I advocate putting it in front of a return vs the skimmer is that people do not always leave their pump run and the CYA is acidic and if left in the skimmer creates a bit of an acidic stew. Also, if any granules escape, they get trapped in the filter and sometimes take weeks to never dissolving.

Hope that helps!

Yes I like the return better as you can see it dissolve and manipulating the sock makes quick work of the process. For insurance I brushed the bottom near the return after each app.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.