Intex Easy Set and Hayward skimmer install???

LittleTagAlong

Bronze Supporter
Jun 17, 2016
Amarillo TX
How high or low on the side should I put the through the wall skimmer? I refuse to use that stupid flying floating out of the water Intex skimmer anymore. I also don't have to worry about keeping air in the ring, exchanging packing peanuts for air. So little time left to swim[emoji33] but this thing is not coming down. I'll cover that in a later post.

The skimmer will now determine the waterline height. Seeing that the ring no longer has to hold air, I guess you could put it as high as you want.

However, I don't think the pool wall will properly support the weight of the skimmer, especially when full of water. While there are quite a few Ultra-Frame owners here (myself included) that have done this, but the pool wall is supported by a metal structure. You may need to make some legs for that skimmer.

Please post a thread with your install, as I do not believe anyone has documented the install of a thru-wall skimmer in an Easy-Set pool, and your experience should be helpful to others who are thinking of do it as well.

BTW- There is a link in my signature to my skimmer install.

The way the walls slope on an Easy Set pool, I'm skeptical that a through the wall skimmer will work properly. They need to be more level or they may suck air and cause your pump to lose prime.

But I'm interested to see someone try it. If you do, let us know how it goes.

This advice raises another question. Could I reverse positions on pool of skimmer and return? Return is higher and will be where I could use the deck to support. Since pool isn't up yet, I'll attach pic from manual.
I like to try things especially if what I have is not working. My pool sits where the wind and sun have the unfortunate ability to make Intex skimmer suck air, usually when I'm gone.

ea80590c01d2f32bf817ce737dd32203.jpg

A through the wall skimmer must be at the surface of the water to work properly. If you mount it lower as shown, you'll only be able to fill the pool up to that level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't know how a through wall skimmer would work on an easy set. The top ring is always floating on the water surface. If you put the skimmer a few feet below the ring or right up to the bottom of the ring it won't matter the skimmer will be slightly under water.

I don't know how a through wall skimmer would work on an easy set. The top ring is always floating on the water surface. If you put the skimmer a few feet below the ring or right up to the bottom of the ring it won't matter the skimmer will be slightly under water.

I agree, I don't see a through the wall skimmer working with an Easy Set pool, I have an Easy Set pool. I usually have pool filled where the water part way up the inflatable ring by a couple inches. If you fill to just barely touching the ring, you have no where to put the skimmer. If you fill below the ring, you have a droopy top, and no where to put the skimmer. It just don't add up.

I've posted pictures in years past of the PVC stand I made to hold my floating skimmer securely. I'll see what I can do to get those posted up again.

Here are pics of the stand for the floating skimmer, should you decide against cutting your pool. The Intex skimmer works very well when secured properly. I've been using this setup for about 5 seasons.

Have you had trouble with your ring leaking air? The pressure changes a bit with the temperature, but never I've never had to add air during the season.

IMG_0851 (2).JPG

skimmer stand 1.jpg

Here are pics of the stand for the floating skimmer, should you decide against cutting your pool. The Intex skimmer works very well when secured properly. I've been using this setup for about 5 seasons.

Have you had trouble with your ring leaking air? The pressure changes a bit with the temperature, but never I've never had to add air during the season.

View attachment 66517

View attachment 66518
No leaks, but I want to leave it up all year. I'm afraid the ring will freeze and crack. The packing peanuts should simulate the air without much additional weight. Thanks to comments, I am doing so critical thinking regarding the skimmer. I just don't really want to add something else that needs taken care of. However, if Hayward will add so much weight that it needs stand, I'm defeating that purpose. I just want to [emoji474]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.