Bleach Storage

Mickey Moose

Jul 28, 2015
Dallas, TX
Reading through a thread which included quite a bit of conversation about bleach got me thinking. This summer I have been buying 12 121oz 8.25% jugs at a time from a high turnover Walmart. It gets me about 1.5 weeks. I store it outside though not in direct sunlight. I don't have any concern with the viability of the last jugs of the cycle since I check my chlorine every day, I know what to expect and the results will either jive or they won't and if they don't there's usually an obvious reasons why things deviated from the norm (meaning at the end of the cycle I'm not always scratching my head thinking it always takes more bleach due to being less powerful from sitting in Texas heat). Anyway, what's your opinion on my bleach storage? Would you be concerned with the strength of the last few jugs to be used? Curious. Thanks.

Good to hear your chlorine is in the shade :)

Assuming 90 degree average temperature (midpoint between average daytime high of 100 and average nighttime low of 80), half-life of 10% chlorinating liquid is around 115 days. Your 8.25% will be longer than that. A week and a half of storage shouldn't cause a noticeable problem. Buying the freshest stuff you can get will be helpful.

This link has been provided by TFP experts in the past, so I think you can rely on it: http://www.odysseymanufacturing.com/about_product.htm

I store the extra bottles in the laundry room. The bottle I'm using stays outside in the shade. I used to keep the in-use bottle in the laundry room, but the new reusable bottles I'm getting tend to have a little bleach running down the side when I'm done, and I don't want to risk the carpets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.