Completely Frustrated ANd going broke!!!!

What is your sample size when doing the FC and CC test? 25ml and your drops are multiplied by .2 The 10ml sample your drops would be multiplied by .5

It doesn't appear that the test is giving you an accurate number.

Excellent. I didn't see the following post. Hopefully you can get your CYA up to 30-40 and then get you SLAM going. Its gonna be tough for you to keep the FC level high enough without the CYA.

I had to do a SLAM this spring due to left over algae from last year. It is a process and may take a while to pass an OCLT but well worth it in the long run. My pool is the best it has ever been and the kids love it!

Good Luck :)

I try to use the 25ml its easier for me that way. I do see it mentioned here several times to double check my test kit. I did that this morning and it seems all the bottles either have a date ending 2018 and some 2019. could there be a possibility that the powders I use in the kits with the spoons be bad even if the dates are in 2018? and if so I guess I can get more of that somewhere from Taylor?

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent. I didn't see the following post. Hopefully you can get your CYA up to 30-40 and then get you SLAM going. Its gonna be tough for you to keep the FC level high enough without the CYA.

I had to do a SLAM this spring due to left over algae from last year. It is a process and may take a while to pass an OCLT but well worth it in the long run. My pool is the best it has ever been and the kids love it!

Good Luck :)

Thanks for the video. looking at some now

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I try to use the 25ml its easier for me that way. I do see it mentioned here several times to double check my test kit. I did that this morning and it seems all the bottles either have a date ending 2018 and some 2019. could there be a possibility that the powders I use in the kits with the spoons be bad even if the dates are in 2018? and if so I guess I can get more of that somewhere from Taylor?

I have seen where the powder can go bad, but usually after either it got old, or wasn't stored properly. If you have always stored it properly, it should be okay. I have a feeling your algae you found is just eating all the FC. I didn't have any visible algae and was adding bleach 3-4 times a day during my SLAM.

My opinion is now that you confirmed you were typing the results incorrectly and now verified that the expiration dates are good then you're in good shape with testing.
I checked out my video of testing with the k-2006 and it turned out ok. If you have any questions about how you're doing the testing I think my video is a fair representation. Search YouTube for Cody Taber
My channel has a picture of Leslie Neilson.
Or try searching for above ground pool testing with taylor k-2006
Again your biggest issue is 1. No CYA and therefore the sun eats your chlorine at a very rapid rate.
2. All the gunk behind the ladder and the unknown anywhere you can't see if the water is clear of obvious organic material.

He did say earlier his CYA was at 30. I wouldn't want to go much higher until I completed a SLAM.
Maybe I missed it but I understood it to just be a little cloudy at the 30 point which is the top end of the test. So for me I'd say somewhere between 0-30 and I dont recall him adding any cya. So yes I agree he doesn't want to go too.l far but it seems like it's way too low at this point.

I do recall him saying cloudy now that you reminded me. I still struggle with the CYA test myself. I even bought the standard solution to help me learn to judge the black dot. I would think he could add 10-20ppm and stay in the 30-40ppm area.

I do recall him saying cloudy now that you reminded me. I still struggle with the CYA test myself. I even bought the standard solution to help me learn to judge the black dot. I would think he could add 10-20ppm and stay in the 30-40ppm area.
Yeah I think the cya test is a tough one to understand in some ways. Here's my best theory on it. I use the Taylor K-2006 kit.
Put water in to the 7ml level then add the cya test solution to the 14ml mark. Shake it for 30 seconds. Then I flip up the cap thing and somewhat rapidly squeeze the solution into the tube with the black dot. I only look from the top through the solution and as it starts to get too cloudy to see the dot I slow down on squeezing the solution in but continually put drops in until I can't see any of the black dot from the top view only. For me I make sure I can't see it at all and go with the. Almost invisible and actually invisible could be the difference of ten drops or more which could be a very different result.
If you only get a few drops in the tube before the dot disappears then you have a really high CYA level.
All the way to the top is zero to 30.

I find this bottle at Lowes frequently. At $3.76 a bottle, and rated at 10% strength, I find it makes a world of difference vs. 8.25% from WM. Again I'll say, test your results 1/2 to 1 hour after dosing to see if you met your FC target. If you had a 0 before shocking, adjust and confirmed a shock level of say, 12 after bleaching, then find a large ONCL in the morning, you have a green monster eating your chlorinated villagers at night.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the video. looking at some now
Yeah all those other pool videos are irrelevant at this point. It's just a project in the works.

Second - I can get my hands on Concentrated Clorox Bleach. Is that the same or should I stick to the regular kind..

You can probably find cheaper bleach at the grocers or Walmart under their own labels. Please DO NOT buy much in the way of Clorox branded pool products as they have been adding copper to many of their pool products which causes bedlam in pools when the copper builds up. And when we questioned them about the copper in products we got varied answers.....so avoid their tablets, pucks, granular products.

If you want to buy Clorox plain bleach, fine. Just don't over spend on it as almost all the plain bleaches are 8.25% nowadays.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.