Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello,

Stumbled on this forum while researching solutions to my current rust and iron staining issues. The available info, expertise and lively debate compelled me to join.

I've had the current pool for 12 years and its been relatively pain free... until now. I'm in Canada so I have to winterize the pool each year. I don't use a cover so its amazing the amount of foreign stuff that finds its way into the pool over the winter. This past spring, after opening the pool, there were several large rust stains on the bottom. Clearly, several metal items had fallen in the pool over the winter and rusted away. I now have yellow staining on most of the vinyl liner and that's what lead me to find the TFP forum. I've found the ascorbic acid treatment info and will be trying it out as soon as I find a reasonable Canadian source for the AA.

Great forum. What a fantastic resource for pool owners.

Here is a picture of our pool in its early years (2007):

SgtWilko

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 50
@Richard320, one is about 7" by 1.5", another is a donut shape about 1" in diameter (probably a nut), there are a couple of other ones that are about 1-2" long but thinner (probably screws or nails). No idea how all those tidbits got in the pool. Usually, come spring, what I find on the bottom is mostly leaves and worms ;o) They must have been sizeable pieces of metal. They left a lot of iron in the water since the staining covers most of the liner, as well as the stairs, returns, skimmer and basket.

I already did the vitamin C test and confirmed the liner staining responds to it. However, the vitamin C tablets did not really affect the larger rust stains. That said, I only tried rubbing a few tablets on the rust stains. I'll try with a larger qty of AA in a sock when I am able to procure it.

I wanted to post this question in the AA treatment thread but it is closed.

I'm hesitating between doing the AA treatment before closing vs just emptying the pool completely next spring and doing an MA wash of the liner, steps, skimmer, returns, etc. I'm favoring the MA wash which is honestly less work for me since pool startup after 6 months of snow cover is more work than a dump, wash, refill project (I don't use a cover so it's a worms & leaves fest, amongst other things). Also,I have a pool guy who has the required protective gear to do the MA wash AND he is affordable so that's not an issue.

Do forum experts see any major disadvantages to the MA wash vs AA treatment?

Thanks,

SgtWilko

We do not recommend draining a liner pool as it often destroys the liner from shrinking, shifting or tearing. We always recommend leaving a foot of water in the shallow end when draining liner pools.