Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA not coming up

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA not coming up

All my numbers are good except I cannot get my CYA up to 70-80.A month ago I tested it at 50 and added the required amount of stabilizer.A week later no change.I did it again and a week later no change.Even went to pool store and they get same numbers. My phospahates are 500, they tried to get me to buy stuff but said no. They got a little snotty after that. I have read about all of you with high phosphates and it not being a problem, so I stayed with that advice.Any idea what would keep my CYA down? I will say my pool is small and us large dads cannon ball a lot of water out to get our kids screaming "Bering Sea! Bearing Sea!" lol
    10,500 gal Gunite,Imperial White River Rok,1.5hp Pentair Whisperflo,320sqft Clean & Clear,Intellichlor 40 SWG,EasyTouch w/Remote,Pentair Pool Shark Sweep(suction side),Jandy AE2000 Heat Pump & 8mil Solar Blanket,SAM Light,18in Caribean Shelf,6 & 4 ft Benches

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA not coming up

I don;t know where you are located, but I have had about 6-10 inches of water replaced to to the persistent rains over the past month...could be part of it
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

How are you measuring the CYA level? Test strips can give wildly incorrect results. You should also check to make sure that what you are adding is 90+% cyanuric acid.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the K-2006 kit as recommended here.Pool store ironically got the same numbers as me.
    99% cyanuric acid was addded? Could my splashout be that bad? We cannon that sucker 5 out of 7 days a week.It is only 15 dia x 6 dp in the deep end.
    10,500 gal Gunite,Imperial White River Rok,1.5hp Pentair Whisperflo,320sqft Clean & Clear,Intellichlor 40 SWG,EasyTouch w/Remote,Pentair Pool Shark Sweep(suction side),Jandy AE2000 Heat Pump & 8mil Solar Blanket,SAM Light,18in Caribean Shelf,6 & 4 ft Benches

5. Back To Top    #5

How often are you adding water?
    18x33 15700 Gal Oval Above Ground
    Ranger Sand Filter w/Praher Multi Port Valve
    A.O. Smith 1.5 hp Pump
    Confer E9120 Steps
    BBB And Sparkling Clean.

6. Back To Top    #6

Having enough water splashed out to lower CYA from 70 down to 50 in a week would be very very obvious. The water level in the pool would go down by about a foot. Something else must be happening.

I can think of two other possibilities. If you have an auto fill system and a leak, it is possible to have that much water replacement in a week. If that was happening you would notice changes in your other levels as well. Another possibility, if you added CYA to the skimmer and then backwashed/cleaned the filter the same day you could lose nearly all of the CYA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School