Skim Doctor 2, good or bad?

The only way to increase the skimming action in the pool is to:
A. increase the velocity or flow over the weir. (It doesn't do that)
B. Improve the surface circulation within the pool. (Doesn't do that either)

Improving circulation or altering action that only takes place within the skimmer box, does nothing outside the skimmer in the pool. I see no way this device can be of much value beyond serving as a handle on the basket.

It certainly isn't going to have an affect on "surface tension" or "gravitational pull" outside the skimmer box. And "blocking the lower depth of water and forcing the water to fall over the top, greater energy is being created in the pull of the very top layer of water." is actually a perfect description of precisely what the weir does.

I also noticed there are some additional steps to remove the debris. Seems like just dumping the debris or removing a sock is easier & quicker. Just my $.02

I got a skimdoctor2 a couple of days back and installed it. It certainly is creating the desired swirl effect inside the skimmer but it is too early to tell if the skimming is improved. I will receive the skim-around today or tomorrow so I can compare the 2 solutions.
So far Skimdoctor seems to be working as advertised.

I got a skimdoctor2 a couple of days back and installed it. It certainly is creating the desired swirl effect inside the skimmer but it is too early to tell if the skimming is improved. I will receive the skim-around today or tomorrow so I can compare the 2 solutions.
So far Skimdoctor seems to be working as advertised.

Quick update - I did install both and both solutions work. Not surprisingly, both have their advantages / disadvantages. Skimdr. seems to be able to create more suction and a stronger swirl effect with the movable opening. It also fits my skimmer much better. The downside is that cleaning it our it harder than the skim-around basket. Overall, I would say the skimming has improved but I had to take the veers out to really make it work. So far I am happy but not ecstatic with the solutions. If Skimdr. came up with a basket that can be opened on the side or bottom I think we'd have a clear winner here.

Alright im going to chime in here since most of this doesn't seem to address the root purpose of the blue top hat.
I have gotten pretty invested in my pool, as well as doing 15k psi hydraulics and fluid controls for a living.
The dr does not increase the flow through the skimmer, so in turn, does not increase the effectiveness of the weir door. The door ultimately does all the skimming. It turns flow from chaotic in the body of the skimmer, to surface flow.
The dr changes flow patterns in the body of the skimmer. It breaks surface tension inside the skimmer, after the weir door has created only surface flow.
I got it to drag all the Darn to the bottom of the skimmer basket. That's all it really does. If you are sick of using you hands to shovel out all the floaters, this will do it for you.
I have 2pcs of the originals. One broke at the top ring. I've welded it with my plastic welder, but they pool guys keep breaking it.
I'm looking at buying a replacement 2.0
I run an intelliflo xfvs or whatever. The big boy one. The dr thing works great at all flow rates. I just redid my suction lines with 3in leaf catcher main drains and spa. But my skimmers were pulled w 2in line, so i play with flow rates a lot for spillover, vacuum cleaning, and slow circulation while the swg is on.
Id say its a toy. But so is this Dang hole in the ground. It makes the skimmers themselves cleaner so, i run them.

Agreed. I do recommend them, but not to increase skimming ability. If your pool has lots of floaters it will help water log them as it sucks everything to the bottom of the baskets. Its nice that the floaters dont come out when the pump is off and the weir door is banging around from waves.
Id give them a thumbs up.

QUOTE="ZcottD, post: 1701088, member: 148967"]
Mine is kept on only because it makes a good handle on the skimmer basket, and it does do a good job with keeping the bugs inside and not floating at the top.

Its basiaclly a skimmer handle and a bug torture/murder device.
[/QUOTE]

Decided to modify the Crud out of my skin drs.
I have had an air leak in my suction line for over a year. I thought it was solely the union at my leaf catcher. I just replumbed everything and moved the leaf catcher to the main drains only. Now my only leak is in the skimmer line. I didn't realise that the skin drs were inducing so much air. I pulled them, no more air in my pump. They were wide open. These are gen 1 btw. So I pulled the outer jacket off and punched 4x 1.5in holes in the back side to slow down the water flow through the mouth of the dr. Seems to have fixed the air induction. It still is turbulent enough to get the floaters to sink.
Eh, so maybe it's not worth the money since id hate to butcher a new $50 dr. Im still happy with mine though

I have one of these installed. There is a discernable difference in the amount of debris flowing into the skimmer from a much further distance away with the skim doctor 2.0 installed, than without at the same pump speeds. The debris that is entering the skimmer is instantly sucked into the skim doctor's vortex and sinks to the sock below. I disagree that this is a gimmick. While it's not what the ad says, it markedly improves skimming in my pool.

I have had a Skim Doctor 2.0 install for roughly 1 season - and I really like it.
  1. I use it with a Sock - attached to bottom of the Skim Doctor threads, but still inside the skimmer basket. The really helps collect debris that I don't want in my filter (worms, millipedes, tree pollen/seeds, etc). While it's more work to clean the skimmer socks, it's less organic material in my filter and "hoping it's back-flushed".
  2. The Vortex works good to pull this debris down into the sock (reduces the amount of floating debris).
  3. The top of the skim doctor makes it easy to pull out the basket without bending all the way down, and putting your hands in the water (or into the floating debris).
  4. I don't believe this helps to encourage more debris from the pool itself - into the skimmers. I believe the direction of the return jets, and the skimmer flow speed (pump speed) are the real keys to good skimming.

Just seen this thread and read thru it all. My question for everyone that uses this gizmo actually have their weir doors installed? From what i have read and understand, your wier door is essential for your skimmer to work as designed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just seen this thread and read thru it all. My question for everyone that uses this gizmo actually have their weir doors installed? From what i have read and understand, your wier door is essential for your skimmer to work as designed.
Yes, I have Skim Doctors and weirs. It is absolutely not a gimmick, Bernoulli principle is pure and accurate science. Works very well even at low pump speeds. Weirs are a necessity with or without the Skim Dr.

Last edited:
Does anyone get any air suction with this? I just noticed as I closed off my main drain to about 30% so 70% flows through my skimmer. However since closing the main drain I am seeing my pump basket has air in it and it isn't filling the whole way. Only thing I can think of is the skim doctor is sucking in air somehow. I too use a sock but I do not have my door on. Is that something I should do?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.