Perma Salt System

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: We at TFP do not recommend the Perma Salt system as it uses copper which over time can cause staining and discoloration of the water and/or swimmer's hair. Once copper is introduced into the water, there's no way to remove it without changing water. For daily sanitation, we recommend chlorine - regular/plain household bleach. No scented or splashless products. For those who wish to invest in a salt water generator (SWG), that is also an option to take advantage of an SWG's automated features. But with new water, you'd be better-suited to use regular bleach.

Please see the vital inks below in my signature, starting with the TFP Pool School page which goes into more detail. Hope that helps. Nice to have you with us.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: We at TFP do not recommend the Perma Salt system as it uses copper which over time can cause staining and discoloration of the water and/or swimmer's hair. Once copper is introduced into the water, there's no way to remove it without changing water. For daily sanitation, we recommend chlorine - regular/plain household bleach. No scented or splashless products. For those who wish to invest in a salt water generator (SWG), that is also an option to take advantage of an SWG's automated features. But with new water, you'd be better-suited to use regular bleach.

Please see the vital inks below in my signature, starting with the TFP Pool School page which goes into more detail. Hope that helps. Nice to have you with us.

Thanks for the speedy reply! Since the only thing I have added at this point is one 40lb bag of salt, could I just start using chlorine? If so, how do I go about getting that done. Apologies if that info is in the link you mentioned. Got the pool filled Saturday so don't want to delay too long. :cool:

Absolutely! Adding bleach is easy. With new/fresh water, we want you to be careful at first, so you'll want to start with these 3 key concepts:
1 - You need stabilizer (CYA). Add enough stabilizer for a summer CYA goal of about 40ppm. Use the Poolmath calculator link below to help. Also, use the sock-soaking method to dissolve the stabilizer.
2 - One day 1 of that new water, add just enough regular bleach for an FC target of about 2-3 ppm because chlorine is strong until the stabilizer dissolves. Once the stabilizer is in the water, increase the FC to about 4-6 ppm and never let it drop below 3. You can see that on the Chlorine/CYA Chart link below. That is key. Yes, you will need to add a little bleach each day, but that's what most of us do. A pool is like a big pet and it needs to be fed chlorine each day - either manually or automatically (i.e. SWG).
3- Keep the pH in the mid-7 range. If it's over 7.8, lower with muriatic acid (pouring very slowly).

The Poolmath calculator is your pool's friend. Once you get used to it, you'll see what a valuable tool it is to help you determine correct dosage amounts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.