Stenner question for those with experience

dmh

Jun 7, 2015
Houston, TX
10K gallon Gunite pool using bleach in very hot south TX. The pool is mostly in full sun during the summer.

I am contemplating the purchase of an expensive Stenner tank system (S1G45MFH2A1SUAA) to feed bleach to my pool. In the dead of winter, I use less than a pint of bleach per day of bleach, but in hottest part of the summer, I use up to two quarts per day. I am getting tired of having to add bleach every night. There is also the problem of vacations. I use a dichlor auto feeder for vacations, but even this small use is making my CYA levels rise too much for my taste.

This is my Stenner question: When the tank is loaded with bleach, is there significant leakage of chlorine fumes from the tank lid? In other words, will everything near the tank corrode because of chlorine outgassing from the tank? I ask because I want to put the tank near my AC units. I don't want them to rot away because of the chlorine fumes.

Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

I've had my chlorine tank in my basement for about a month now. Absolutely no fumes what so ever. And trust me - my wife would let me know if there were.

This is the tank I have.

ULINE - Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Packing Supplies

Adding the Stenner pump was the best thing I ever did. You won't regret it. I was also tired of adding bleach every single day. I have my Stenner set to go on for one hour at 9 am and one hour at 3 pm. I test my water every other day now - rather than every day like before - and the levels are always dead on.

I use the same drum linked above. I drilled a hole in the 3/4" bung just slightly larger than the 1/4" tubing (17/64") and ran the tubing through it. That leaves enough space so that pumping bleach out of the drum over time won't create a vacuum, yet it fits tight enough that there's no outgassing.

Used one of these Roto Mold tanks. They are extra thick, UV protected and the price wasn't bad. The lid is vented with a check valve and also large at 5" making it easy to transfer the chlorine into the tank. The only drawback was the 6 week shipping time from the manufacturer. I've had it up and running for a few weeks now and I'm very happy with the results here in a climate similar to yours.

https://www.ruralking.com/ace-roto-mold-7gallon-rectangle-flat-bottom-tank-sp0007-rt.html

I use one of those 12ish gallon car wash soap tanks, it is about 2 feet from my Ac condenser unit and I haven't had any problems. I personally inspect and clean out the condenser coils once a year. I was worried about corrosion from the chlorine as well so paid special attention to the unit. I never smell any chlorine when I'm over there by my pad either.

Thank you all for your advice. I appreciate that you took the time to teach me from your experience.

After reading all your comments and some old threads on this forum, I like the idea of making my own system using a cheap peristaltic pump. I could run a 24VDC one off my Pentair box as an auxiliary without a problem and use the built-in programming to control it. The DC pumps are <$20 on Ebay, and I could use one of the tanks suggested in this thread for the bleach.

I just wonder how a cheap pump would hold up, however. I would only need to run it for an hour or so per day, depending on the rated output.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.