Yellow Out with minimal results- is this correct?

darthv

Jun 25, 2017
garden grove, ca
Hello, all.

We let our pool guy go several weeks ago as the pool was looking crummy.
I have little experience and thus developed algae which I was told was yellow algae by another guy although it was light green in color. Developed over the course of a week. It is primarily on the sides of the pool and the corners of the spa. The water looked okay. Tried to superchlorinate the pool and didn't work so was told to use Yellow out.
-pool is plaster, 28000 gallons

Pool test:
Hardness 640
CYA 120
total alkilinity 140
ph 8
TDS 2800
phosphates 450
Free chlorine 5

I started by back washing Pentair FNS 60 for 2 minutes then adding DE, pressure went from 30 down to about 24.
Added 4 pounds Yellow out
5 minutes later, added 2.5 gallons of 10% chlorine liquid
Scrubbed with metal brush and this seemed to dislodge a lot of the algae
12 hours later 2.5 gallons 10%, then 24 hrs after initial yellow out again 2.5 gallons 10%.

I scrubbed here and there after the first scrub but on subsequent scrubs not much else happened

Now, 24 hours after the above complete procedure I still see hints of green in those areas. Some of the areas along the spa are still pretty green. Some green areas around the lights and the jets also still green. I would have thought that much chlorine would have killed them all.

Tested my water and all parameters the same. Chlorine is still about 5. Its been pretty hot in the last 2 days.

Did I do something wrong. it does look much better but I would have thought the procedure would destroy everything, even the stuff left on the walls.
Thanks for your help

Collin

Welcome to TFP!

Please add your pool info to your signature because this is going to take some work and likely draining your pool. More here about how to add your signature and what to add, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Most products named Yellow Something is sodium bromide. The FAQ on Yellow Out's website says this under What is the active ingredient: Yellow Out is not an algaecide therefore it is not required to list the ingredients. If it is in fact sodium bromide then that means your pool is now a bromide pool. When you add bleach to ypur pool it will be consumed converting the bromide to bromine. And you can no longer accurately measure chlorine because the bromine interferes with the chlorine test.

More about bromine here, How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?

Here is another recent thread where somebody added Yellow Stuff to their pool, How to right the wrong of Jacks Magic Yellow Stuff.....

Holy cow, from the references you have stated it seems like once the Yellow Out is used, the requirements for maintaining the pool go up significantly.
Gosh darn it, why would a professional pool cleaner suggest this.
I would imagine Leslie's pool would suggest this (and when I went there to get it they were pretty gung ho about it) mainly due to the increase maintenance/chemical requirements?

Still, why didn't it take care of my algae problem. I think the scrubbing did most of the work, the Yellow Out seemed to not do much.

For some reason we have seen many posts where someone has recommended using something like yellow out this year. It is really baffling how bad the advice from some pool stores has become.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.