Suggestions for quick pool redo

Hi All,

I've gotten great help from folks on tfp when learning how to manage my pool in the past, and now I'm hoping to tap the collective for some style ideas. :)

We are planning a full redo of our pool area in a couple of years but would like to spruce it up in the meantime, low-cost. Here are some pics of the area now: http://imgur.com/a/QZtec.

For dirt area in pic 3, we want to move a table and chairs onto that area, so I need something temporary that will work for that purpose - I thought of filling with landscape stones, but think the table and chairs will sink/be uneven, etc. Does anyone have experience with stepping stones set in small landscape stones and how stable they are vs. shifting? Or any other inexpensive ideas that would cover up the dirt and make that area usable with wet feet?

Open to suggestions for all of it, but really stumped on dirt area in pic 3.

Thank you!

My first thought was to skim coat the cinder block with a colored concrete to make it look and feel less like prison walls and carry the feel of the house down toward the pool. Trim the (what looks like) oleander back a little. The vegetation overall needs a good trimming. In that dirt area possibly a ground level deck? Excavate some of the dirt to make it level with the patio or make it a single step up (easier) which will add a wood element to the yard to counter the stone, water, and plants. When doing a full reno of that area, I think you have the kind of setting where a wood or composite deck surrounding the whole pool would be stunning. I'd also look at removing the bushes against the house to allow a wider deck and more open feel.

I like Kim's idea better than what I've come up with. I think hers would be less expensive and easier.

My thoughts:
1. Knowing I'm going to do a full redo in a couple of years, I would rather do things in stages. Needing a place now for the table, I would do all the decking now including the area for the table using one material.

2. If that's not possible, then I would condider a permanent small patio now for the table in a contrasting material from the rest of the future deck. If using stone for the deck, then maybe a wood (or synthetic wood) for the table patio. I would want to consider the entire design now. Maybe the table patio would be a square but set 'on point' - such that a corner of the patio points to the pool - something unique. Then the stone or concrete deck would be added in a couple of years and surround the table patio. You could use whatever materials you like for the deck and patio, but I think a contrast would be nice, and you don't have to worry about matching materials down the road.

3. Use artificial turf now for the temporary patio.

4. A few pictures from Pinterest of other patio designs which could be temporary or permanent.

Maybe something here will trigger other ideas.
Good luck!
Suz

Hey I would if THIS is where I can get my mural????????

I have always dream of someone doing a BIG, bright mural on an area like that wall. Find a local artist to do it if you are like me and cannot draw LOL

Kim:kim:

Hi there!
I'm thinking that artificial turf for the dirt area with pavers framing that area, and possibly, bringing the turf along the back side of the pool where oleanders are would look nice and add a pop of color.

Later on, the turf could be reused, if still in good shape, to put between pavers, like the pic posted by Suz. If you don't have any intention of reusing the turf, you could go with more inexpensive turf.

I also like the wood/trex type deck on grade, idea, but I'm not sure how much that would cost.

On the wall, you'd be surprised how much a coat of paint would help. Maybe something with a contrasting color or tone, to the existing surroundings.
You might not want to go with a deep red, but against the green & blue, I think it looks great in this backyard.

My first thought was to skim coat the cinder block with a colored concrete to make it look and feel less like prison walls and carry the feel of the house down toward the pool. Trim the (what looks like) oleander back a little. The vegetation overall needs a good trimming. In that dirt area possibly a ground level deck? Excavate some of the dirt to make it level with the patio or make it a single step up (easier) which will add a wood element to the yard to counter the stone, water, and plants. When doing a full reno of that area, I think you have the kind of setting where a wood or composite deck surrounding the whole pool would be stunning. I'd also look at removing the bushes against the house to allow a wider deck and more open feel.

Prison walls - yes! That's exactly how it feels now. Anything we do has got to be more aesthetically pleasing than that. A skim coat could definitely work.

On the oleander - you're right, we've worked on the front landscaping a lot more than the back - it all needs trimming. I think you're also on target with the bushes against the house - we've been talking about taking them out, and some of the bushes right near the dirt patch to widen that area.

We've considered wood for the long term decking - I could envision white walls with a warm wood deck and grass/stone accents, but we worry about the slip and heat factors though - do you or anyone out there have positive experiences with wood in a similar setting?

Thank you for taking the time to post!

Thank you Kim! Temporary is this season, possibly next. I like the idea of the stones - either with sand, or maybe artificial grass underneath as Suzfrom Texas suggested - I hadn't really considered patio stones as I thought they might shift too much - but I think your solution would be quite stable. I'll have to post an update to show you and everyone what we decide to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Suzfrom Texas, thank you! I very much like the idea of the large square patio stones on either a bed of small stones or even artificial turf. I hadn't thought of turf as an option - it could work!

- - - Updated - - -

Azunsets, that is a stunning look. I don't think we can pull off a deep red, but definitely color would help. I like a previous suggestion to skim coat the cinderblocks first/with color, too. I'm really liking the artifical turf idea along with square patio stones - I wouldn't have thought of that, thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

ctrav - you're right, my water needs work. - I've been at it for a few days, getting closer to clear again. :) Mulch is a definite option with large pavers too, thanks. On the paint - funny, I pinned something similar last night. I've been really eager to get away from the cinderblock look, but perhaps going into it and taking it up several notches with paint would do the trick!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We've considered wood for the long term decking - I could envision white walls with a warm wood deck and grass/stone accents, but we worry about the slip and heat factors though - do you or anyone out there have positive experiences with wood in a similar setting?

Hi Sparkly, just to add my 2-cents. As someone else already mentioned, cleaning up the landscape should be your first project, so you can see what you're actually working with. I like the idea of pavers in the future dining area. I would also consider a pergola over that same area to provide some additional coziness. I'm not a fan of painting cinderblock walls, but a very smooth stucco looks awesome (that is what I plan on doing). However, it is important the wall is waterproofed properly so the mortar joints do not show through the stucco. Regarding the wood decking, composite decking can get extremely hot in full sun. I had a private roof-top deck when I owned a townhouse, and I put composite decking on top. It looked beautiful. However, during the summer it was too hot to walk on with bare feet. I eventually added a pergola with a moveable sun shade and an outdoor area rug, which made it useable again.

Whatever you decide, best of luck. We're here for you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.