Brand New Home - Neglected IG Pool

Jun 25, 2017
Hamilton, NJ
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for advice. We just recently closed on a really fabulous empty nester home. I almost didn't schedule a showing of this house because I saw a neglected back yard with a BIG IG pool. I really didn't want a pool. We are beach people and we are close enough to get our toes in the sand pretty quickly on any given day. But the house was so undeniably perfect for us, that we took the plunge (pun intended) and decided to try to become pool people.

A little history on the pool from some of our awesome new neighbors.... The family that owned this home went through a nasty and long divorce. The husband was very wealthy and paid for some pretty high powered attorneys. This house was one of many houses that they owned and was the most fought over in the divorce. The wife won the house and immediately put it on the market for an extraordinarily high asking price. It was on and off the market for the next three years, all the while, being neglected. The pool has been closed for at least three years, if not four. :(

First, the mechanics needed to be replaced. So we purchased a new pump, filter and auto chlorine feeder. We also ordered 12 pounds of shock, a bottle of algeacide and a bottle of clarifier. (Thank goodness for Amazon Prime!) We hooked all of that equipment up and uncovered the pool yesterday. The pool is dark green! We dumped 5 pounds of shock in and got the new filter running. We also dumped about 14 ounces of algaecide in. We have backwashed the filter 3 times (each time the pressure went up by about 6 pounds). The pool has been uncovered and filter running for about 24 hours. What's next? More shock? And when should I start testing? (I'm ordering a testing kit today! Any advice on which?)

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to share their knowledge!

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

My first suggestion is to stayaway from any pool store. Their only response it to sell you something.

My second suggestion is to stop with the algecide. It's a preventative, not a remover, plus most of it has copper in it that can cause staining.

I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that way for a lot less money than the pool store, or even amazon Prime for that matter. You will be shopping for chemicals at Lowes and the grocery store.

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Thank you for replying Tim.

I've been doing some reading. I just ordered a testing kit and 3 large bottles of concentrated regular Clorox bleach.

Should I add more shock today? It's the 73% super shock and I added 5 pounds about 24 hours ago. Or should I wait for the testing kit to arrive on Wednesday?

Is there anything else that I should be doing right now aside from cycling the filter to backwash when I see the pressure increase? I let it backwash for two minutes, then a 1 minute rinse, then back to filter. I am checking the skimmer baskets (there are two) every few hours. Should I try to reach the pole skimmer to the bottom to see what kind of gunk is down there? Would stirring it up, help it filter through?

Also, I haven't purchased a vacuum yet.... Any advice? Would you ever consider renting an automatic vacuum in my circumstance? And if so, at what point?

When you say "shock", can you tell us if it's DiChlor or CalHypo?

If it's green, you will need dozens of bottles of bleach. Stick with your local grocery store generic concentrated. In my area they are about $2.50 a bottle while Clorox brand is over $3.00. The savings adds up

Thanks JV! You are right! The guy at the pool store told me that it was "probably about" 30,000 gallons. I just found a formula online so I went out and measured length (32 was correct) width (16 was correct) and depth (3 feet in a short shallow end to 8 feet in the deep end). The length x width x avg. depth (6 feet) x 7.5 says that my pool is actually about 23,000 gallons!

I'm off to correct my signature now! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Tim,
My shock is 73% Calcium Hypo

Tim,

The product is a 1 pound bag of 73% Calcium Hypochlorite.

I know that household bleach is Sodium Hypochlorite. Are there different strengths (percentages) of Sodium Hypochlorite available in my grocery store or at a big box store like Costco or Walmart?

Thank you again... and again....

Tim,

The product is a 1 pound bag of 73% Calcium Hypochlorite.

I know that household bleach is Sodium Hypochlorite. Are there different strengths (percentages) of Sodium Hypochlorite available in my grocery store or at a big box store like Costco or Walmart?

Thank you again... and again....

yes. Around here at Walmart you can buy their generic bleach at 8.25% or in the pool supplies they sell chlorine at 10%. The bleach comes in121oz, and the chlorine is a full gallon 128oz. At my local Walmart the price works out about the same when you factor in the strength and size. Make sure you check the date codes on the chlorine, it gets weaker over time. If you buy bleach make sure it is plain unscented bleach, don't get scented or splash less.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm new to this forum, and will be paying attention to this thread. This is the exact scenario we went through with our pool at the house we just moved into.

I know what I did to fix it, but since I'm new I'm going to stay quiet, and just see how this goes.

My pool had two years of leaves in the bottom of it, and countless toads, and frogs.

Good luck Cindy I'm pooling for ya. LoL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.