Slam process question

Wow, that is some significant CC! How are you getting an estimate for something that has an unknown end date? You aren't planning to dump that all in at once are you??

How do you figure that? You're not trying that tired old breakpoint chlorination formula, are you? Check out this picture, and scroll up to see some others Green Tint to Pool Water - Page 2

SLAM means Shock Level and Maintain. Raise FC to shock level and let it work an hour or so, then retest FC and add enough to get back to shock level, and so on and so on and so on.

You might find it easier to lose some of that CYA-laden water before you start.

based on the chart in the Taylor test kit (FAS-DPD), my 7600 gallon pool needs 12.4oz of clorox bleach (8.25% but yields 7.85% available chlorine). I can get a generic equivalent at the "dollar store" or "walmart" at $3 a bottle.
I wasn't sure if I should slam based on a CC=7, which means I add chlorine based on 10X7=70? Or do I follow the Chlorine/CYA chart and aim for 28? If I do the former, I thought it would be one and done, but now I'm not so sure. If I do the latter, how frequently should I repeat the process?

- - - Updated - - -

Let me rephrase that..... 12.4oz of bleach would raise my chlorine level by 1ppm

The Slam article refers to the Chlorine/CYA chart, which indicates 28. This is not clear. Raise the chlorine level by 28ppm? by 28X10ppm? Do I ignore the "breakpoint" process mentioned in the instructions that came with the Taylor water testing kit?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, 8.25% chlorine bleach indicates on the label that the available chlorine is 7.85%. Which of these numbers should I be using

Yes, ignore breakpoint chlorination, it is a myth. Yes, 28 ppm is the level to raise FC up to. Every 1, 2 or 4 hours. However often you can test and raise FC back up to 28 ppm. The more often you do it the faster the SLAM Process will go.

In PoolMath, link at top of every page, select 8.25% bleach.

Use poolmath with 28FC as the target. Now is whatever your test result is, Target is 28. The amount you need will vary depending on the now FC reading. Early on, it will take a lot to maintain that level. As the algae dies, the pool should hold FC better and you will need less and less bleach to maintain a level of 28 FC

Forget breakpoint.

Use 8.25% in poolmath. It factors everything for you.

If I use 7.85% available chlorine, and try to raise the chlorine level by 28ppm, then I should use 347.2 oz or 2.9 bottles of bleach (at 121 oz per bottle).
If I'm to raise chlorine by 280ppm, should I just replace the water with bleach? (Joke!)
If I use 8.25%, then I should use 329.6 oz or 2.7 bottles.

- - - Updated - - -

OK. Sounds like I should just round up to 3 bottles to start, and check again in 2 hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like I should just round up to 3 bottles to start, and check again in 2 hours.
That's pretty much what I would do. If the pool is green, by the time the bleach is mixed, you'll already be below 28. That little extra won't hurt. Don't go crazy overdosing it, though, or you'll bleach the liner.

It's much like taking antibiotics. You take a pill every 8 hours or whatever for a week rather than gobbling the whole bottle at once.

OK....at 4pm EDT, I poured 2.5 bottles (121 oz each) of 8.25% bleach into the pool. At 5:05pm the FC=6, and I poured 2 more bottles at 5:15pm. At 6:20pm the FC=5.5, and I poured 2 more bottles at 6:30pm. At 7:35pm I checked the CYA and it was 60. This changes the target level from 28 to 24. I poured 1.67 bottles at 7:50pm. I may check again at 9pm, or I may wait until the morning, at 7am (just in case anyone else is interested in how this is going).

- - - Updated - - -

PS. Based on the pool math calculator, I should have added 1.33 bottles instead of 1.67, but I didn't factor in the new CYA at that point.

I retested the CYA at 6PM today, and it is still 60. So, from 4pm yesterday, to 6:15am this morning, I dumped 12 bottles of bleach. At 6:05pm today, the FC=1, and I dumped another 2.5 bottles. At 7:20pm, FC=1 again, and another 2.5 bottles followed. At 8:30pm the FC=2, and 2.25 bottles dumped. At 9:40pm FC=2 again, and another 2.25 bottles dumped. That's a total of 21.5 bottles of bleach (at 121 oz per bottle, that is 1512.5 oz) in 30 hours. The water has cleared a little more, but I'm wondering if something is wrong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.