cracked canister base

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2017
St Augustine
My canister base is cracked just below the area where the tightening band joins the base and the canister top. The crack is about a foot long, and the water squirts out forcefully when the pump is turned on. What product might seal the crack? Anyone ever have this problem and fix it successfully?

Thanks for the responses. The water flow is unobstructed, so there is no problem with pressure building up. There also are two other canisters in line. The filters in the canisters have been replaced recently. Does anyone know what product will seal the crack?

Thanks for the responses. The water flow is unobstructed, so there is no problem with pressure building up. There also are two other canisters in line. The filters in the canisters have been replaced recently. Does anyone know what product will seal the crack?
Go look at the gauge. It's under pressure. It's going to blow some day when no one's around and run your pump dry and fry it as well. Then you get to buy a filter and a pump.

There is no repair for a cracked filter tank. It has to be replaced.

the water squirts out forcefully when the pump is turned on.
There is no safe fix for a cracked filter. Someone can get injured if they are near when the filter blows. If there was no pressure in the filter the crack wouldn't be leaking. If you're not going to replace the filter maybe consider building an enclosure around the filter to contain the explosion.

There is no safe fix for a cracked filter. Someone can get injured if they are near when the filter blows. If there was no pressure in the filter the crack wouldn't be leaking. If you're not going to replace the filter maybe consider building an enclosure around the filter to contain the explosion.

The canister is one of three. The three canisters and the motors are in an enclosure. The crack is not from pressure but from the top of the canister being stuck to the bottom of the canister (too little lube) and someone hitting the top from the side to loosen and separate the two. Does anyone know the answer to my question? What substance will fill the crack and have the best chance of holding? Thanks in advance.

You are not getting a recommendation because (as said) any attempt to repair any cracked pool filter is unsafe. It does not matter how it got the crack. Any cracked filter vessel must be replaced. I know, I had to replace the bottom half of my filter, only to have the top crack a year later. I should have just replaced the whole filter in the first place.

You are not getting a recommendation because (as said) any attempt to repair any cracked pool filter is unsafe. It does not matter how it got the crack. Any cracked filter vessel must be replaced. I know, I had to replace the bottom half of my filter, only to have the top crack a year later. I should have just replaced the whole filter in the first place.
Thank you, but your experience does not indicate a safety issue. Under some circumstances, I am sure there would be a safety issue, but this does not apply in my case. There is no water pressure problem, the canister is in a housing, and the canister is about 50 feet from the little spa. So if the patching, gluing, whatever, does not work, the leak will recur, and I'll be back to square one. So does anyone know what product would work to seal the leak?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.