Need help picking correct cartridge filter and pump size

Jordan84

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2012
Arkansas
Hi,

We need to replace our pump and filter. I'm thinking I want to try a cartridge filter this time around if it would be lighter and easier to move into the garage for winter storage, and if it's smaller that would be a plus too. I've been getting answers all over the place on what size pump and filter we need. Can anyone help me please?

For a 18.5K pool, I would recommend a minimum cartridge filter size of 275 sqft (and going larger never hurts, other than the higher cost).

For the pump, a 1HP 2-speed is what I would suggest. Many members like the PowerFlo Matrix.

Wow that might be out of our budget. I've been told to get a 50 sq ft 3/4 HP, and a different store said to get a 100 sqft 1.5HP. Thank you for helping me, this has been stressing me out. If we have to stay with a sand filter due to cost, can you recommend a pump and filter size? I'm thinking from what I've read that we have way too much pump right now. I like the idea of a 2-speed too.

For a sand filter, minimum would be 24" diameter. Same pump as before.

The filter sizing is based on your pool size and season. The pump size is just based on your flow needs ... you do not have any high flow rate requirements, so the small pumps are cheaper to buy and run. A 3/4HP pump would also be fine. Still suggest the 2 speed.

Note: it is not typical to find AG combos of pumps and filters that are a good match. Usually the filters are too small and/or the pumps are too big.

Thank you! Can I ask one more question? Should we get an in-ground pump since our pool is buried and the pump sits at water level? Our current pump loses its prime sometimes. I appreciate your help!

I have a 150 sq. ft. cart filter with a 1/2 hp pump. This set up has served me well for quite a few years. I was pool stored on my first cart filter (before I became a TFP'er) when they said a 50 square would be plenty enough for my pool along with the 1.5 hp pump that went with it. Now I know better! Expensive lesson though. Bigger would be better I'm sure, but I would need a bigger paycheck!

I have a 150 sq. ft. cart filter with a 1/2 hp pump. This set up has served me well for quite a few years. I was pool stored on my first cart filter (before I became a TFP'er) when they said a 50 square would be plenty enough for my pool along with the 1.5 hp pump that went with it. Now I know better! Expensive lesson though. Bigger would be better I'm sure, but I would need a bigger paycheck!
Your season in Michigan is a good bit shorter than in Arkansas, so a smaller 150sqft filter should be fine.

Properly sized and if the chemistry is properly maintained, we try to size the filter to only need cleaned 1-2 times per year. A smaller filter will just require more frequent cleanings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.