Filling pool

RoxxW

Dec 14, 2016
Poquoson, VA
Once the pool is full, what is the first thing I need to do to get my pool balanced before I start up my Hayward SWG? Can someone point me to a guide perhaps?

My pool stats are in my signature. I'm using city water to fill pool. Then I don't know what to do next.

You know you will need to add chlorine and stabilizer. You should get the pool balanced with bleach first and then can worry about adjustments to eventually turn on the SWG.

But, you need a good test kit to get started.

1) add salt to the level suggested by your SWG manufacturer, usually 3000-4000 ppm. Allow to dissolve fully.
2) add cyanuric acid (CYA), aka stabilizer, to 70 ppm
3) add muriatic acid to lower or borax to raise your pH to between 7.2 - 7.8
4) add plain unscented bleach, aka liquid chlorine, to raise free chlorine (FC) level to 10 ppm

Amounts to add can be determined by using the Pool Math page on this site.

Monitor closely for a few days using one of the two recommended test kits, either the TF-100 or the K2006. Do not trust test strips or pool store testing. Our methods demand that you perform your own testing. That's all we will trust.

Adjust your SWG to maintain your FC at or above 9 ppm. Drop below that and you will be inviting algae to take hold.

Pour margaritas and enjoy your pool.

Do you have a test kit? Have you bought salt for the pool?

Nope. I have recommendations for cheap kits and salt bags locally but have not purchased. I've read my manual and understand the levels needed for salt and cya but do I have to put all that in this weekend after I fill the pool? How many days can I wait? Should I be cycling the pump till I get the salt/cya into the pool?

- - - Updated - - -

You know you will need to add chlorine and stabilizer. You should get the pool balanced with bleach first and then can worry about adjustments to eventually turn on the SWG.

But, you need a good test kit to get started.

Some folks a met in my city use AquaChek test strips in their salt pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!!

The STICKY at the top of this category has a guide for water balance for SWG's.

- - - Updated - - -

I am filling pool tomorrow. Maybe Saturday morning. :kim:

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

1) add salt to the level suggested by your SWG manufacturer, usually 3000-4000 ppm. Allow to dissolve fully.
4) add plain unscented bleach, aka liquid chlorine, to raise free chlorine (FC) level to 10 ppm

Monitor closely for a few days using one of the two recommended test kits, either the TF-100 or the K2006. Do not trust test strips or pool store testing. Our methods demand that you perform your own testing. That's all we will trust.

Adjust your SWG to maintain your FC at or above 9 ppm. Drop below that and you will be inviting algae to take hold.

Any money you save by getting a cheap test kit or strips will more than be lost trying to return your soon to be green pool back to clear. This is not the place to scrimp. Get one of the recommended test kits. Trust us this one.

You should add the salt, stabilizer, and chlorine just as soon as you fill the pool. In fact, add the salt while it is filling so it can begin to dissolve.

which one is chlorine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.