Planning a new pool and backyard build, Phoenix, AZ

Good points about steps made by Suz above. Make them all equal rise and from top of coping on down. The last step down can be a bit bigger, because you're more or less starting to swim by then and most of your body is supported by the water. So for 4' depth of water you have 48" depth + ~4" freeboard above waterline = ~52" to the bottom - 4 steps down of 10" each and then a final step to the bottom of the pool of ~12" (just as an example). I'll post a picture of our steps, just to give an example. Pardon the slightly cloudy water!

The main drain in a pool is plumbed to the pool's circulation pump. It's usually tee'd together via a 3-way valve with pipe(s) from the skimmer(s) just before the suction side of the pump. There are other alternatives, but that's the most practical. The 3-way valve is used to adjust the blend of water between skimmers and main drain.

They don't do main drains down here so much anymore, but autofill and overflow are great to have. Overflow probably doesn't matter there in Arizona, but I bet autofill would be pretty handy!

Adding hot and cold water and sewer to an outdoor kitchen adds significantly to the cost, but I've never heard anyone say they regret doing it!

Just my two cents. Lots of people here with Arizona experience!

Steps and cover.jpg

Prelim design, The depth will change to 4-5-4.5. The steps will change to bottom right corner in boxed out way. I am not sure about the dimensions of the baja step, That has been the hardest to decide on. I would appreciate any input.
517B493E-6411-4545-B3B4-4C0E1EFB11EE_zpss025qrkd.jpg

I don't have anything right now to measure. What are the normal dimensions of a standard chaise lounge? I may not have the space to enlarge the shelf since it's getting tight to get around the pool from the patio. What do you guys think of the depth of the shelf?

Most lounge chairs I ran across were 72-80" long, 13-24" high, 25-27" wide. I ordered mine on Amazon, and there are many different options and sizes available. Find something you like and see what the size is.

It is nice to have room for someone to get by you, or have extra room for kids to play, while you are lounging.

Do you need all the space that you currently have planned inside the pool? If you don't, the Baja could curve out, into the pool area. I had 5 kids and 3 adults in my pool yesterday, so there was no lounging going on, by the Baja was a favorite destination!

I had my pool lay out marked with an electrical cord for weeks. I would drag furniture out to the Baja and just stare at the design from all angles.

Some people like to be in the water when sitting/lounging, others don't want to get their seat wet & others just want a bit of water, some people have dogs with 3" legs, so they take that into consideration....

As long as you take the time to think it through, you'll be okay.

Good points about steps made by Suz above. Make them all equal rise and from top of coping on down. The last step down can be a bit bigger, because you're more or less starting to swim by then and most of your body is supported by the water. So for 4' depth of water you have 48" depth + ~4" freeboard above waterline = ~52" to the bottom - 4 steps down of 10" each and then a final step to the bottom of the pool of ~12" (just as an example). I'll post a picture of our steps, just to give an example. Pardon the slightly cloudy water!

The main drain in a pool is plumbed to the pool's circulation pump. It's usually tee'd together via a 3-way valve with pipe(s) from the skimmer(s) just before the suction side of the pump. There are other alternatives, but that's the most practical. The 3-way valve is used to adjust the blend of water between skimmers and main drain.

They don't do main drains down here so much anymore, but autofill and overflow are great to have. Overflow probably doesn't matter there in Arizona, but I bet autofill would be pretty handy!

Adding hot and cold water and sewer to an outdoor kitchen adds significantly to the cost, but I've never heard anyone say they regret doing it!

Just my two cents. Lots of people here with Arizona experience!

View attachment 64600

needsajet...do you have a build thread or more pics?

Any input on on plumbing? 2 skimmers, infloor cleaning system? Where should i put an umbrella sleeve, the middle of the baja step or the inner area of the baja step toward the pool?

As far as the umbrella sleeve goes, make sure you can walk around the pool without the umbrella being in the way. I put mine towards the pool enough that it doesn't interfere with people walking along the edge/coping.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not everyone will agree because one skimmer is enough for this size pool, but having two is nice. Each one needs to be plumbed back to the pad to be useful, so you can adjust them there to get best skimming.

In-floor cleaning seldom satisfies owners; perhaps 1 in 10. If you can redirect those funds to a robotic cleaner, you'll likely be happier.

I think I'm seeing 4 returns and they look well-placed. It looks like they're trying to get good circulation over the benches and steps. Be sure to use 2" pipe for the circulation system, and don't let them share water features on the same circuit. Everything should be valved and controllable from the pad. Did you want a bubbler or bubblers on the baja bench?

I would probably lay an extra 2" line all the way to the far corner. Then if you ever wish for something different (slide/laminar jets/waterfall, whatever), you've got the pipe there, and it doesn't cost much now.

Finally consider landscape lighting before it's all paved; you might want some conduit out from the pad or the kitchen.

Looking great! That's going to be a great pool. If you can give it a few days or so, I'm sure you'll get some more ideas and things to watch out for.

I'd pass on the infloor cleaner. Lots of money and maintenance and they don't always work that great. Some folks here really love them but more don't. 700-800 bucks for a good robot and you're good to go. Like this one, Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

If you do two skimmers put one down wind of spring winds and one down wind of fall winds.

The layout, i will be looking at it this weekend. So far i like it

02ce20830217251e8a9282716d25b15c.jpg

In-ground works great in Phoenix for the kind of dirt/dust we get here. Probably not good with heavier debris although I don't know that to be true. I'd hate to have to lug a cleaner and hose in and out everyday, and I've always though they are a PITA to swim around. Count me an in-floor fan ( as long as the system is designed right ). YMMV

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.