Black Algae, Wire Brush, New Plaster

This afternoon's readings are as follows.

FC 9

CC 0
pH 7.4

It was cloudier today and a light bathing load.

This morning's readings are as follows.

FC 7.5

CC 0
pH 7.5

Surprised the FC went down from yesterday evening. I did test it later than normal
this morning though by a couple hours and after vacuuming and turning the hose on. I'll check it again this afternoon.

Your 24 hour filtering will get them :) Did you boost the FC from 4 or letting the SWG get it up overnight?

Your big bather load today + one of hottest/sunniest days of the year and you only fell to 4 where before you were at 1 and 3 often, even with gallons of bleach. Massive improvement!

To minimize the opportunity black algae gets, maybe boost up to 6 whenever you're under it, if you have time/bleach on hand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC up to shock is safe for bathers. The higher above target you go, the more you'll lose to sun, but adding bleach only increases FC and adds a little salt. You're always good to add bleach as long as you stay under shock.

FC above min is essential to avoid costly slam, potential health risks for bathers, further black algae
FC above low target is advisable for even less risk of above

If you had me care for your pool for a week, I'd pretend 6 was my min and bleach it to 8 whenever it was lower than that. I'd leave swg at 80-100 right now, but plan on lowering it as soon as FC was testing above 8 for days in a row. At that bleach price - I'd rather give my money to the SWG cell refill people, but I'd also happily buy the bleach when I needed it. I do not enjoy black algae.

Thanks Yak

FC 7.5 (last night was 4.5)

CC 0
pH 7.6

Looks like I'll be letting it run on its own for at least another day without adding anything.

I found the cell light off this morning even though it was set to 100%??? I switched to boost and it came on. There's no telling how long it had been off so consequently this morning's FC reading is low.

FC 5.5
CC 0
pH 7.7
TA 80
CYA 45
Salt 2900

I added 38oz of 12.5% bleach to attain Yak's suggested FC 8. I also added a gallon of conditioner and a bag of salt with plans to add another bag tomorrow.

I found the cell light off this morning even though it was set to 100%??? I switched to boost and it came on.

Cell light = "on" indicator?

I'm unfamiliar if even at 100% run time there are occasional "breaks." Other wonders: power surges from lightning or other tripped protection? wildlife turned it off? passerby turned it off? could be random fluke to not worry about, but be sure to double check the next few days.

To clarify, 8 was assuming your previously higher CYA. If your CYA really fell to 50, then my suggestion would fall to 6. I noticed you increased it, but in general, my suggest is an FC or two above your swg target, because I'm overly cautious compared to TFP best guesses (when Black Algae is involved)

I found the cell light off this morning even though it was set to 100%??? I switched to boost and it came on. There's no telling how long it had been off so consequently this morning's FC reading is low.

FC 5.5
CC 0
pH 7.7
TA 80
CYA 45
Salt 2900

I added 38oz of 12.5% bleach to attain Yak's suggested FC 8. I also added a gallon of conditioner and a bag of salt with plans to add another bag tomorrow.

FC 5
CC 0
pH 7.9
CYA 70 or maybe a little higher but definitely no less than 70

Big bathing load yesterday and expected again today so I added 90oz of 12.5% bleach and a quart of MA.

Cell light = "on" indicator?

All the other indicator lights were on and green except the cell light which was not on. This indicates no chlorine was being produced. I checked periodically yesterday to find the light on. This morning it was off. I lowered it to 80% and back to 100% and the light came on.

That particular light can not be directly turned on or off manually. To make it turn off, I would have to lower the percentage so it would take a break, or stop the water flow, or get too low on salt which would also make the salt light turn red which it wasn't.

I'm going to start a new thread in SWG Forum.

IC60 Cell Light Off

I'm running my IC60 at 100% but two mornings in a row now I found the CELL light off. All other lights are on and green. My salt test was a little low yesterday so I added a bag but the salt light was not red. This is a brand new unit less than two weeks old.

Manual states the following.
-Automatic cleaning does not interrupt chlorine production.
-No Light: IntelliChlor SCG is off and not producing chlorine. It may be in an off-period of the sanitizing cycle and will return on shortly.

But why would it be off when running at 100%?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.