Black Algae, Wire Brush, New Plaster

I'm not sure why some have issues keeping FC up with their SWG? We have an IC40 on our 26000 gallon pool and it will keep FC at 8+ while only being on the 3rd setting. Turn it all the way up and it will stay over 10ppm. Makes me wonder if people's salt level is on the lower side or the SWG need a good acid soaking. Or maybe people are not running it long enough? We run ours at 2000rpm 24/7. We absolutely hate a dirty pool and if we don't run it all the time we go to get in and the water surface is full of pollen and bugs so we keep it running at a low setting 24/7 and our FC stays up and the water is always clean. It's using less energy at 2000rpm than my PC uses. I will gladly pay a little more for electricity to keep the pool spotless. Actually I was in last night (super hot here right now) to test out the lights. The lights attract a ton of beetles!

Intellibrite 5g led pool lights by pentair. - YouTube

My pump's been running 24/7 and posted results are based on a brand new IC60 less than a week old set at 80%. I guess I could check the salt.

The SWG is installed horizontally. I wonder...

I'm not sure why some have issues keeping FC up with their SWG? We have an IC40 on our 26000 gallon pool and it will keep FC at 8+ while only being on the 3rd setting. Turn it all the way up and it will stay over 10ppm. Makes me wonder if people's salt level is on the lower side or the SWG need a good acid soaking. Or maybe people are not running it long enough? We run ours at 2000rpm 24/7. We absolutely hate a dirty pool and if we don't run it all the time we go to get in and the water surface is full of pollen and bugs so we keep it running at a low setting 24/7 and our FC stays up and the water is always clean. It's using less energy at 2000rpm than my PC uses. I will gladly pay a little more for electricity to keep the pool spotless. Actually I was in last night (super hot here right now) to test out the lights. The lights attract a ton of beetles!

Intellibrite 5g led pool lights by pentair. - YouTube

ProStreetCamaro, The OP has a commercial pool and the FC demand is much, much, much higher than a typical backyard pool. The OPs just upgraded their SWG to accommodate for their FC demand and there are no issues of scaling or low salt.

edjanowsky, most of us just kick in a bag or two of salt whenever our indicators say low salt. I don't think you have any issues with your salt, your SWG or how it was installed.

ProStreetCamaro - your pool is living the TFP dream! Great work! For those seeking thrift, the lower the % means the longer between cell replacements. Of course, you are correct, too low, and algae = avoidable bleach expenses.

edjanowsky - important note - just because it *might* not be able to keep up in the summer without twice a week bleach help doesn't mean it won't be perfectly capable the rest of the year. Water temp, UV exposure, and bather load are roughly at max right now. For it to be doing 80% of your FC needs indicates it will be cruise control the rest of the year. If you are looking for a totally hands off during the summer solution, it appears you might need an even bigger one, assuming salt levels are correct, install was correct, unit is working properly, etc. If you manually bring the pool up to like halfway to shock or so twice a week, I'm thinking perhaps the current SWG would be able to maintain 4-8 between your trips. Perhaps that would reduce your workload. I'm not sure how often you have to check the pool (by law or your own responsibility/preference) but either way, this SWG is certainly doing better. Good enough, up to you :)

I wonder if you still have black algae consuming FC increasing demand. Can be challenging to do valid OCLT when there is a bather load so often and massive rains.

I check the pool daily because I'm anal like that, and because I don't have enough experience yet to be comfortable and especially with the changes.

We're definitely peaking right now on multiple levels. And a valid OCLT is likely impossible for about three+ weeks, but I'll watch for an earlier opportunity. Fortunately the PS is only a two minute golf cart ride and their bleach is mighty cheap @ $0.31/oz for NaOCl ($4.99/gallon of 12.5%).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well this is certainly making a big dent in your bleach expense! Hopefully you're able to turn it way down after the summer passes and it will still be good for several years. Whether it actually ends up cheaper or not, it sure is less jugs and less impact to your cashflow. Also, safer for bathers :)

You make a great example of why commercial pools in the southern USA might want to go extra big and 3-4x their SWG purchases.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.