Here We Go Again....Pool Build in Magnolia

Goob

Gold Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
Magnolia, TX
Hi, All!

As the title says, "Here We Go Again"! We were going to build this pool about 18 months ago but backed out due to circumstances that arose. In a better position, we are moving ahead finally.

First, we decided to check the pricing not only against the original pool company (PB1), who really nailed the design for our yard, but also with another pool builder that we also really liked when looking the first time (PB2).

PB2 has been really quick in responding and has already provided pricing and a design based on the original. PB2 does not like to work with a SWG (which I prefer but have BIG concerns with because of the flagstone) and prices their builds at a premium. They keep saying that the quality of their subs is better but most of the guts of the build seem the same.

PB1 is a smaller family builder that seems to be gaining market share. We know a family that used this builder 3 years ago and are very pleased.

As a reminder, the original plan from PB1 18 months ago...

PB1 Angle.jpg

We told PB2 that we wanted him to price what the above pool would cost to build and he threw in a few tweaks that we overall like a lot. PB2's plan...

PB2 Angle.jpg

As one can see, not much different but we didn't want different. He took out the bottom "pool" area as it was a big cost with very little return. We moved the tanning ledge over to this area and reduced the size of the original ledge to open up some pool area although we aren't concerned about a swim lane. He didn't like the curved stairs and planter from the patio deck down to the spa deck. We are undecided about that for now. The decking is what I call washed aggregate but others refer to as pebble concrete to save some money. Otherwise, he left good enough alone.

When I get the proposal back from PB1 on their costs and equipment, I will list the differences between the two.

The reason for my post before knowing what PB1 has in store, is treating a pool the TFP way the key to keeping a SWG from killing flagstone or travertine coping? Is this a Texas only problem? Will a sealant keep the stone going? HELP!!! As you can see, I want to go with a SWG for the convenience as I travel up to 50% of the time and I don't want my wife to have to worry about checking the balance on a daily basis as it seems liquid chlorine requires. If I have to go with liquid chlorine, I will. I won't use the tablets as our neighbor has them (and swears by the convenience), but our skin looks flaky after swimming in his pool and it sometimes stings!

Otherwise, I am open to suggestions on the overall design. Things like light placement, sleeves for the planters, etc. will be hit on in followup posts, but we aren't in a huge hurry right now to decide between the two as I am waiting on PB1's proposal for another couple of days.

Below are pics from 18 months ago showing the yard and pool placement which hasn't changed much. There is about 4.5-5 feet of drop from the current patio and a creek that runs behind the fence and is part of the property

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

Thanks again, TFP neighborhood! You guys have already saved me tons of money and I look forward to this adventure together!

Back to looking through others' builds and the issues they encounter.

I don't know about SWG and stone so I can't help there. I do have some reservations about the designs though. It looks great but the planters and waterfall on one side take up what I consider "play room". My kids love to jump off the side - with your design there isn't much side anywhere to jump off of. I would take out the planters, but that's just me. Is the waterfall on the house side a hot tub or just a water feature?

Edit - I see you mentioned it is a spa - that will be fantastic. I see a ledge in the deep end of the pool, does that go all the way around or just on the back wall? My pool has a ledge all the way around the deep end and we absolutely love it. No treading water and grasping the edge when you're tired.

I personally like the second design better.... SWG is the way to go, you will not regret it... as far as the flagstone flaking? idk..... but have you considered upgrading to travertine instead of flagstone? our upgrade did not cost much more to go with travertine and im glad we did... just an idea...

The first design isn't being considered. Sorry, I didn't make it clear and instead confusing. I just put it there as a reminder for those that saw it in the thread from 18 months back.

Both builders will more than likely be almost identical as we told them exactly what we wanted in the design. I do know there will be a couple of small changes to compare but not much.

Razor, kind of sold on the planters with the ideas I have for them and I already worry about too much concrete out there and looking hot in the Texas heat. The planters at the top near the spa would be the only feasible ones to eliminate I think, but there is still deck to jump from there. The ones at the bottom near the tanning ledge have a 12-18" raised wall behind them so kids would have to step up on the wall anyways.

ap2002, Does travertine not not have problems with the salt? I have no issues going with travertine but I assumed that travertine being porous would have many of the same issues. I believe the builder said it would be near the same cost.

Design looks very nice. We went with flagstone and SWG based on my own research, TFP input and confidence in PB experience with the products. PB will seal the flagstone and I will re-seal at the beginning and end of swim season myself. My PB said he will come and do it for me at no charge the first two times so that I will know exactly how to do it myself down the road. My PB is a local small company and we are blessed to have found him. My build started the end of May and should be finished in the next 2 weeks. My point is to use the PB you have the most confidence in and who you can communicate with. TFP will help with great feedback, solutions and calming of fears (at least for me). Put up lots of pics and good luck on the build...

Thanks, ctrav. I want to go with flagstone. Most of the people that I know with it don't even know of this forum and is probably more of the reason they have their issues. Who knows?!

It does sound like you have a great PB to work with. Either one of the two I am talking to will be fine when it comes down to it, but I hate weeding through their bias because of the way they take care of the water.

Just waiting in PB1 to come back with their estimate. They say they are waiting in the gunite quote.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Goob, I am glad that you clarified that you are not considering the initial PB1 design, because I really like the PB2 design. It seems to provide something for everyone. I'm looking forward to seeing this build to the end. Good luck on the reboot.

Well here you are!!! So close to being started!

Kim:kim:

Yep, went into hiding for a little while. Long story I can hash out during the build when things are stagnant and I'm tired of watering gunite!

Hi Goob, I am glad that you clarified that you are not considering the initial PB1 design, because I really like the PB2 design. It seems to provide something for everyone. I'm looking forward to seeing this build to the end. Good luck on the reboot.

I did leave that a little confusing! :confused:

Just waiting on in the gunite quote to see their rendition.

Alright, I think we are ready to move on.

PB1 from the corner of our yard looking back to the house.
PB1 Angle.jpg

Same with PB2.
PB2 Angle.jpg

Overhead view with PB1.
PB1 Overhead.jpg

Same with PB2.
PB2 Overhead.jpg

Of course, the greener grass and trees picture almost automatically makes it look better along with the darker flagstone, but what about the pool?

PB1 decking is spray deck. I don't mind the look but my wife thinks public pools in the area.

PB2 is pea gravel (I call it washed aggregate but it doesn't sound as pretty!). Again, I don't mind the look and my wife likes it. We both think it makes the pool stand out more instead of having people focus on the deck if we went to stamped concrete as travertine and stone is beyond what I'm willing to pay. One thing that is included in PB2 is the upper patio coming from the house is stamped. We requested a more "formal" area up there to act as an extension of the living area from inside.

Pools are same size and will be of same coating, depth, etc.

I can obviously change the flow of the walking paths.

Thoughts on equipment pad placement?-

The side of our house has about 12' before the property line. In this 12', it drops a good 3'-4'. I can't imagine putting an equipment pad there. When a pool builder explained that it will still operate fine but now the pump works a little harder because of the elevation down/up to the pool/equipment, I was more open to putting the equipment at the same elevation of the pool along the fence. With speakers put in around the pool and normal yard noise, I'm not too concerned about the equipment noise with a fence and vegetation as a shield. Ideas?

Straight steps or curved leading down from the patio?-

This is where we are torn and are slightly leaning in one direction. They both look great. Our house is very linear as, obviously, the pool. For that reason, we think the straight steps look a little more grand.

Right now, I'm comparing the equipment each supplied in their proposals. Roughly the same. One builder warranties the work (electrical, plumbing, deck) for 2 years while the other is 1 year. I like that although it probably wouldn't matter too much.

Out of curiosity whats the price difference between PB1 and PB2? Be sure to post the equipment lists for each. I wouldn't think of building a pool without a SWCG. Makes me wonder why they don't like them. Isn't it what you like?

Goob if it were me I would give very careful consideration to the tree/bush in the middle near the original patio. It looks great on paper but it seems like it will restrict the view from the main patio and house. Flagstone will be very nice but make sure you ask them for dark stone or you will get a mix of dark and light. If I had it to do again I would have paid the uncharge to get all darker stone for the pool coping. I'm good with the mixed light and dark on my wall. PB 2 design looks really good! What is the sqf of your decking? I had them bump mine out when I saw the spray layout on the ground and I am glad I did. I don't want to be crowded up on the pool and it looks great. My sqf was 1100 and I ended up with 1200...Keep us posted!

Out of curiosity whats the price difference between PB1 and PB2? Be sure to post the equipment lists for each. I wouldn't think of building a pool without a SWCG. Makes me wonder why they don't like them. Isn't it what you like?

Difference is within 5%. IMO, somewhat negligible. I'm in the process of getting the model numbers. Thx.

I'm back and forth with the SWG. A year and a half ago, I had 5 builders out to do bids. These two were the ones I felt most comfortable with. All 5 though, asked what I wanted and when I told them chlorine without the SWG, they were relieved. Two of them had gone back and retrofitted their saltwater pools to chlorine because of the corrosion on parts and equipment along with the effects on the stone. Again, I'm wondering if the TFP method is what is keeping this mostly at bay as I know that water chemistry has a lot to do with how the water feels.

Goob if it were me I would give very careful consideration to the tree/bush in the middle near the original patio. It looks great on paper but it seems like it will restrict the view from the main patio and house. Flagstone will be very nice but make sure you ask them for dark stone or you will get a mix of dark and light. If I had it to do again I would have paid the uncharge to get all darker stone for the pool coping. I'm good with the mixed light and dark on my wall. PB 2 design looks really good! What is the sqf of your decking? I had them bump mine out when I saw the spray layout on the ground and I am glad I did. I don't want to be crowded up on the pool and it looks great. My sqf was 1100 and I ended up with 1200...Keep us posted!

Both of those trees are bad examples of what will go there. Most likely I will get a tree that I can prune to a big canopy allowing me to see through the trunks to the yard and pool. Somewhat of a necessity as I have to take out 2 trees for this pool(one a pine believe it or not) that provide dappled light into the house and onto the patio. In the height of the summer, the sun sets beyond the trampoline in my last photo of the yard posted above. At least I have a tree picked out that doesn't drop leaves regularly- the same one I recommended in your thread for framing out your wall.

Thanks for the recommendation on uncharging for more dark stone and being picky with it. I don't like the light and the stone on our house is mostly dark in the grey with some gold and lighter blends here and there.

The deck is around 1500 sqft. Right now, my only concern is the fire pit pad. I think I will add 2-3 more feet around the perimeter. It will be mulch and bushes behind it and probably will drop off 6"-12" based on my poor man's elevation shoot of the ground.

I am just going to do this one thing at a time as I see them:

-fire pit-while I love how the drop down looks it will be a bear to keep clean.....think about having to take something out there to get stuff out of it where the flat one you can just sweep or use a blower on.

-curved steps from the patio..........oh so pretty and fancy AND they "match" the curves in the pool.

-walk ways to the fire pit-I like the bump outs. Without it people will have to walk into the grass to get around the loungers.

-what pool patio is made of.......see if you can find some of each and walk on them barefoot. Some washed aggregate can be rough on the feet. It depends on the stone used and how much of the "plaster"? gets washed away.

Equipment-NOT under a window if by the house. If you put it by the fence I bet we could come up with something pretty that would help with the look and block the sound.

I think I got it all! LOL let me know if I missed something.

I am just going to do this one thing at a time as I see them:

-fire pit-while I love how the drop down looks it will be a bear to keep clean.....think about having to take something out there to get stuff out of it where the flat one you can just sweep or use a blower on.

-curved steps from the patio..........oh so pretty and fancy AND they "match" the curves in the pool.

-walk ways to the fire pit-I like the bump outs. Without it people will have to walk into the grass to get around the loungers.

-what pool patio is made of.......see if you can find some of each and walk on them barefoot. Some washed aggregate can be rough on the feet. It depends on the stone used and how much of the "plaster"? gets washed away.

Equipment-NOT under a window if by the house. If you put it by the fence I bet we could come up with something pretty that would help with the look and block the sound.

I think I got it all! LOL let me know if I missed something.

I'm glad we are thinking alike.

I don't like the drop for the fire pit. For me, it is moreso a good place to trip while trying to get around some chairs down there.

I'm going to have to think long and hard about the curved steps. You're right, it does go good with the curves of the spa and tanning ledge. I think the straight steps are a little grander looking but the curves keep with the flow.

The PB has a nice showroom with his both his pools surrounded by washed aggregate. One deck is just a few years old while the other is over 10. Both felt good under the feet even when baked in the afternoon sun. Much smoother than my neighbor's decking and about the same as another friends. I know a lot of that has to do with the pebbles used in the concrete.

No windows to worry about. I would have wanted it tucked around the corner of the house, but with the "efficiencies" of having it at the elevation of the pool and some tricks I know to hide the equipment along the fence through more fence and landscaping, I think it will be OK.

Appreciate the help Kim.

I think we are down to curved vs. straight steps and SWG vs. bleach. :scratch:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.