Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: using fas-dpd for first time is this ok?

1. Back To Top    #1

using fas-dpd for first time is this ok?

Using the fas-dpd and CYA test from tftestkits and PH and Alk from another kit, I get:

FC = 2.5
    CC = 0
    CYA = 45
    ALK = 90
    PH = 7.6 (non tftestkit, reading color chart it's 7.6 to 7.8 at the most).

I could not get the full tftestkit right now so I bought the tests and used the instructions from their website. So once I got a FC of 2.5 (5 drops), I added 5 drops of R-0003 (swirling between drops) and there was no color change. So I take that to mean there are 0 CC's?
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: using fas-dpd for first time is this ok?

Yes, that all sounds correct.

With a CYA of 45 you want to maintain an FC level of at least 4 at all times.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

To be 100% sure, I only need to shock if I ever get CC's?

Or will I ever need to shock if CC=0?
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

4. Back To Top    #4

You will only need to worry about shock if your water looks cloudy or measures .5ppm or more. With CC of 0 there is no need but to maintain proper chlorine level.
    27' round AG vinyl, 54" height with 18,200 gallons of water.
    1HP pump, 150lb sand filter run 12-14 per day. Using 12.5% liquid chlorine. BBB method.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit. Lamotte strips for borate at 50ppm.
    Goals: CYA-40, TA-80, FC-4, CC-0, Borate-50, PH-7.4-7.8 with use of fountain.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, thanks for the replies.

Just needing to make sure the pool is perfect for the weekend.

If CC is 0 does that mean chlorine shouldn't fall at night?

I know a check in the evening and the next morning is the way to check that, but just wanting to understand more of the background processes.

6. Back To Top    #6

No. A 0 CC reading is good but doesn't have any bearing on whether the chlorine will drop at night. Hopefully yours held?

So you got 2.5, and you should have at least 4 at all times (as Jason advised). You should have added enough bleach to reach 6 or 7, which should keep you above 4 until the next night when you test again. Make sense?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

you shouldn't lose more than 1ppm of fc overnight. have you read pool school? it will help you understand things as a whole a lot better.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

yes I've read the pool school, but when you actually get your hands on something for the first time it still gets a little confusing. i've been testing since day one but not with fas-dpd so just a little different process than I been using.

I didn't add any more bleach last night since it was dark, but this morning at around 7am it took 5 drops to turn clear so it held at 2.5 all night. I then bumped it up afterwards.

Btw, will the amount of fas-dpd crystals affect the accuracy of the test? The instructions say a heaping scoop of crystals (using the blue scoop)... but a heaping scoop is not very precise. The scoop is so small it doesn't seem possible to have a rounded scoop full but a heaping pile that covers the flat area of the scoop too. So how 'off' will a test be if the 'heaping' scoop is a little more than intended?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by rastoma
    yes I've read the pool school, but when you actually get your hands on something for the first time it still gets a little confusing. i've been testing since day one but not with fas-dpd so just a little different process than I been using.

I didn't add any more bleach last night since it was dark, but this morning at around 7am it took 5 drops to turn clear so it held at 2.5 all night. I then bumped it up afterwards.

Btw, will the amount of fas-dpd crystals affect the accuracy of the test? The instructions say a heaping scoop of crystals (using the blue scoop)... but a heaping scoop is not very precise. The scoop is so small it doesn't seem possible to have a rounded scoop full but a heaping pile that covers the flat area of the scoop too. So how 'off' will a test be if the 'heaping' scoop is a little more than intended?
    I believe as long as it turns red and stays red you are fine. I do not believe it has much effect as long as it is red.
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.

10. Back To Top    #10

mdhwoods is correct. Extra powder, within reason, is fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School