Waiting on my test kit...what now?

May 30, 2017
Atkinson, NH
Another lost newbie here [emoji15]

So had the pool opened 6 days ago. They algicide and 2 bags of granular shock. Pool sat not working for another 5 days until they came back and bypassed the heater (a whole other post). So I went to a pool store and they said to add more shock and algicide (I know now) so 2 more algicide and 4 more gallons of liquid shock. Then 2 more bags of granular shock yesterday. 4 more gallons of liquid shock today as the pool store said there was still no chlorine in there!

The pool is a light green and cloudy and I can't see the bottom. Finally realized there was a bunch of leaves in there. Trying to get them all out. What can I do in the meantime until I get my test kit? Relying on the pool store testing until then (yet ignoring their advice still). I've been to 3 and they all say something completely different (advice not tests)!

Should I brush and vacuum now or wait? Dump more shock in there? I hate to wait until the test kit comes...that'll be another week.

Here is pool store results:
FC: 0.2
TC: 0.63
CC: 0.43
pH: 6.6
Hardness: 196
Alk: 35
CYA: 3
Copper: 2
Iron: 0.1
Phosphate 417

It's an 18x36 IG vinyl liner with brand new pump, new Hayward DE filter and paramount in floor system.

Someone please take pity on me and tell me what to do [emoji30][emoji1374]

5a1e43df4df377d1dce3a533c07e37be.jpg

Get the bottom as clean of debris as you can and raise that ph to mid range using borax. No more algaecide. No more shock. Find a sale on plain old bleach and stock up for a SLAM. Buy enough baking soda to raise your TA to 80. I'd also have some extra DE on hand cause you're gonna be cleaning that filter a lot it appears. Use Pool Math and get us a good estimate of how many gallons your pool is. Edit your profile with a signature line listing all your pool equipment. Welcome. No pity here------but we're glad to help.

HI! The first thing you do is breath! :hug: we got ya now!

DId you already order a test kit? Which one?

Until it get there get the rest of the stuff up and out of the pool as best you can.

You can also add 1 jug of bleach a day. Also look around your area and see if anyone around you sells liquid chlorine. You might have to "rent" the jugs but that is not big deal. Your liquid chlorine or bleach needs to be easy for you to get to.

Keep your pump running 24/7.

Watch your filter pressure. With you have a DE filter you will have to bump it or backwash it often. Do you know how to do that?

Here is some *light* reading: Pool School - Pool School This will teach you the whys and hows of what we do here at TFP.

Don't bother even letting the the Pool $tore test. They do it more wrong then they do right :(

Kim:kim:

Yes I've read pool school and all the SLAM articles and many posts. I have been back washing the filter twice a day when the pressure goes up so I have that part down! Now it's just the chemistry part. Do I need to add CYA so I don't lose the chlorine? I got a bunch of liquid shock from ocean state job lots. I got a Taylor K-2006. They have to ship it ground because it's chemicals ugh. And I can't return it now for the same reason. If it's truly not worth it at all I could fight to return it but any other kit will take awhile to ship too. I bought a cheap kit at the store to test chlorine at least until it comes.

Leaves are out now. More bleach or just wait? Should I brush it or vacuum it?

I was where you are a month ago. Taylor K-2006 is the right test kit. It's what I use and I love it. Keep pump running 24/7 and put in 1 jug of bleach a day until your test kit arrives.

13500 gal. 24' round vinyl pool, Hayward Sand filter, Taylor 2006 test kit

Why would you return a test kit you just ordered? Just chill till the kit comes in and play with PoolMath.

PH is pretty hard for even a pool store to screw up. If it's at 6.6.....I'd get it up.

Why would you return a test kit you just ordered? Just chill till the kit comes in and play with PoolMath.

PH is pretty hard for even a pool store to screw up. If it's at 6.6.....I'd get it up.

2 pool stores both said the pH was 6.6

With you saying that PLEASE look at this link:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Do what it says to get your PH up. That is your first job as soon as you get up.

I am confused about your test kit-do you have the Taylor 2006 already in your hands? or is this the one you have ordered and are waiting on?

Either way this is a good test kit that will help you clear the pool.

Add one (1) gallon of bleach to your pool each day until you get your test kit. IF you already have a test kit please use Pool Math (see top of page) to see how much to add to get your pool to SLAM level.

CYA-I would NOT add any until you can test for it. You do not want too much in there.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are going to SLAM your pool, which you should, go ahead and buy some more reagent because you will run out. I just finished my first slam and I went through two large reagent bottles and a small one. My pool was clean and clear when I first started and I had a five day slam testing 4-5 times a day. 20-50 drops of reagent for each test.

well i need to spend $8 more to get free shipping. what else will i possibly need to refill next then? Will i get it by Friday by any chance? My taylor kit isn't supposed to arrive until Monday and i really need to SLAM all weekend. Im so annoyed at amazon.

So my test kit is arriving tomorrow and my pool is clearing up! however, my pressure guage is going crazy lately though (it is brand new so not the guage). It has been running a baseline of 20 PSI. yesterday we vacuumed it (through the filter via skimmer). After, it dropped to a baseline of 10 (and held there all day). Did we dislodge a clog somewhere? Today it is back up to 20. I also think there is a suction leak somewhere as the pump wont stay full of water completely ever since i let the water get too low and it sucked air into the skimmer. The suction leak appeared to be gone yesterday when the psi was 10 but today it is back. Another clog? any ideas?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.