How to secure freestanding market umbrella

Flbeachluvr

Bronze Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Port Orange, FL
IMG_1455.jpgIMG_1456.jpg
We recently planted a large upright Elephant Ear plant in the corner by our pool. It needs some shade so we bought a market umbrella and a heavy base. We also tied the umbrella to the fence (you can see the ropes in the pic if you look closely). When we came home from work yesterday the umbrella had fallen backwards over the fence. :mad: Anyone have any hints/ideas how to better secure it? We really like how it looks but it defeats the purpose if it gets blown down every afternoon.

I don't know what kind of base you have but we had a similar problem with our umbrella in the poolyard. That was until we bought a concrete base which is much stronger than the plastic version with sand that we had before.

Just a thought- could digging the base down into the ground be an option?

The base is one of those plastic ones that came pre-filled with sand. Originally we were just going to just put the pole of the umbrella into the ground but wanted to have the option to move it for parties if we wanted. I'm not sure if the concrete ones work better?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i actually found the plastic drink carriers that home depot sells with 2 handles on the sides, with 1 bag of concrete and 1.5" pvc works perfectly. I've been perfecting the art and thats my go to umbrella stand now.

i actually found the plastic drink carriers that home depot sells with 2 handles on the sides, with 1 bag of concrete and 1.5" pvc works perfectly. I've been perfecting the art and thats my go to umbrella stand now.

Like these?

HOMZ 18 Gal. Rope Handle Tub in Blue (4-Pack)-0402KBLEC.04 - The Home Depot

I agree, that would be nice. But that's pricey. I think I saw them for cheaper at Rural King though.

I made mine with a large flower pot and 2 bags of 50lb quick set quikrete. I had some leftover concrete that I didn't need. It is plenty heavy, but I forgot to put handles on it.

I just had my patio umbrella break for good this weekend when it blew over :( There are in ground anchors for sale that I'm considering but they are expensive. See this link: https://www.amazon.com/Greencorner-B7-Ground-Umbrella-Aluminum/dp/B003EBJ4P4 Essentialy what you'd put next to the pool (in the decking). I might bite the bullet, not sure.

I wish I could find a mesh-type umbrella that would allow wind to pass through better than the vent on top of the umbrellas. I just need it for shade, not to totally block the sun and I don't use it when raining.

We are in a windy area and discovered that our umbrellas blow over despite having 55lb bases. I just ordered/received weight bags (small bags to fill with sand) from Rhino:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=umbrella+weight

The bags hold 2 bags (100lbs total) of play sand.

We plan to DIY some bases using planters filled with concrete which, at around 80lbs, typically work well. In the meantime, we will use the sand bag weights to secure them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.