Complete Start Over

May 6, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
After much frustration, I have completely drained, cleaned and refilled my pool. I've just tested the water and here are the results.

FC - 0
pH - 7.2
TA - 50
CH - 50
CYA - 0

I would greatly appreciate any helpful advice as to where to go from here. My sand filter has all new sand in it. I have backwashed and rinsed per recommendation of TFP.

By the way, the pool was a swamp just from sitting over the winter. Thank you in advance for any input.

Some bleach, some CYA, and hop in. :splash:

If you have to go to the store to buy any of that stuff, pick up a few pounds of baking soda, too, because you'll likely need some by the time the CYA dissolves.

Do you know how to use poolmath? Are you familiar with the sock method for adding CYA?

Some bleach, some CYA, and hop in. :splash:

If you have to go to the store to buy any of that stuff, pick up a few pounds of baking soda, too, because you'll likely need some by the time the CYA dissolves.

Do you know how to use poolmath? Are you familiar with the sock method for adding CYA?

Yes I am, so I'll plug in the numbers & pour the bleach.[emoji4]

Day 2 after a complete redo -

FC - 9.5
pH - 7.2
TA - 50
CH - 50
CYA - 0

I completely dissolved a full 4 lbs of stabilizer in a white sock yesterday/last night. CYA is still 0. Is this normal and do I need to add additional stabilizer?

The pool appears a little cloudy compared to yesterday. Thunderstorms just past thru our area about 3-4 hrs ago.

Please advise if I need to do anything else or just continue to follow pool math's recommendations. Thank you.
Today
IMG_3937.jpg

The CYA may not register for another day or two. Just assume it's all there and maintain the right FC level. The cloudiness could just be residual stuff from before the drain.

Thank you. As for the drain, I completely scrubbed the entire pool, rinsed it thoroughly & vacuumed the residual water. The water was very clear Sat & yesterday.
Pic #1 -Yesterday - Sunday
cf2f583012690e3b146c302e803376b2.jpg

Pic #2 - Today
d4ff97f80145c7cf810f412bbf089892.jpg

The pool is looking great! I am so glad I came across TFP!

This evenings reading:

FC 2
pH 7.2
TA 50
CH 50
CYA 0 (still no reading after 4 lbs of stabilizer in a sick Sat)

Do I need to keep the pump running 24/7 until the CYA comes up? If there's anything else I need to know or do based up the info provided, please let me know.[emoji4]

The sock should be dissolved by now. Maybe you need to move it to a better spot with more water across it? The stuff should at least be mushy by now. Kneading it a little every ten minutes or so should speed things up so you can get the filter on a normal schedule.

I've already done that. It all dissolved Sat evening/overnight.
Hmmm. 4 lbs should have gotten you to 27. Does the water at least get a little cloudy when you mix up the test solution?

Anyway, if it's all dissolved and the sock is gone. no reason to run the pump so long. Cut it down to 6 hours and experiment as it explains in Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

And raise the FC up to target. We should assume the CYA is pretty close to 30, which means minimum FC is 2 and target is 4-6, depending on daily losses.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes...the water does get a little cloudy when mixing test solution. Also, I've added the recommended amt of liq chlorine to raise it up to target not long ago. I will wait another day or so & recheck CYA? Thank you for your help.[emoji4]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.