Ground Fault

Zip

May 27, 2017
Acton, MA
Hey- TFP, long time reader, first time poster. Thanks so much for your help over the last two years as I've been able to learn so much about the pool in the house I bought.

I’m in the process of putting in a SPA near my pool. I have a pool house that contains all the electrical, pumps, heater, filter and salt system. The electrician upgraded the service to the pool house with 100amp, replaced the subpanel and added ground fault breakers. The previous subpanel didn’t have ground fault, and it never tripped. The breaker with the pump and salt generator is now tripping frequently and we can’t figure out the solution.

We replaced the breaker already- so pretty sure it’s not faulty. We tested the current going into the breaker with an amp clamp and we’re not over-current and since the issue only popped up when we added GFIC breakers, I’m thinking we have a ground fault issue.

The breaker trips most often when the salt water generator is active. When the salt system is off, the system still trips, but infrequently. When in ‘super’ mode, it will trip within an hour.

My electrician is recommending I replace the pump, but I’m thinking the salt generator might be the issue. I don’t want to replace something that’s not broken and really don't want to have to replace both, since the units are only 4 years old (and we live in the Northeast, so only using 4 months out of the year). I’ve had three electricians look at the system and none of them can find any issues with the wiring.

Any thoughts on what to do next? Thanks!

Zip,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pool owners with faulty issues.. :drown:

Why don't you put the SWCG on a different circuit breaker and see what happens.. If the problem follows the SWCG you will know that circuit has the problem, if not, you will know that the pump's circuit is the issue.

GFCI's don't like circuit noise that can be generated from electronic devices, so moving the SWCG to a different circuit may just solve the issue altogether.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim! I took the back off the pump and can see that the isolation around one of the wires is warn down. I think what's happening is one of the hot lines is coming into contact with the ground wire as the pump runs. Going to have that wiring replaced and see if it does the trick.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.