algaecide control

Could you go into more detail as why not to use algaecide.
Thanks
It's not necessary if you maintain adequate chlorine. And you have to maintain adequate chlorine to kill viruses and bacteria and oxidize organic wastes (like dead skin and snot) anyway so what do you gain? I suppose a good dosing at the end of the season before the pool is all covered up and closed would be prudent, but during the swim season it's just wasted money.

I don't see anyone in this thread saying 'do not use algaecide.... it has it's merits when used as a preventive item for certain situations (like at closing).

My question is why are you using algaecide?

Some pool owners do not understand that algaecide is a preventative measure... and even some pool "professionals" at the pool $tore will recommend algaecide to treat algae..... that's like getting the flu shot after catching the flu.

Welcome to TFP! If you are having problems with algae an algaecide will not help. Like Dom says, its a better off season preventative than in season tool. If you use algaecide during the season when you are adding chlorine regularly your chlorine is going to oxidize the algaecide fairly quickly and it won't leave a residual to do its job. May as well save your money and not add algaecide in season.

A good polyquat 60 algaecide is much more useful when the water is cool (below 70 degrees) and you are adding chlorine less frequently.

To get rid of algae the SLAM Process process is much more effective.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.