Pool Heater and Salt Water Generator both not working

Jul 9, 2015
Howell
My pool started to look a little cloudy last week so I went over to my Hayward SWG Control Panel and saw Low Salt and Check cell were both lit up continuously, I cleaned the cell and no change so I ordered a new cell which arrived tonight I installed it and no change both are still lit up. I also looked over at my heater today and it is showing an "if" code. I was wondering what would be able to cause both issues at the same time or if it was just a coincidence. Both units are Hayward and about 4 years old.

You have an ignition failure code on the heater, which could be a bad igniter, or blockage in the gas orifices or burners. Here is a troubleshooting manual that could give you more information.

Edit: JamesW knows his stuff so I would follow his advice first.

Have you checked the salt level for the pool since you replaced the cell?

Most likely, the salt is just too low. Verify with a good test kit like the k-1766.

Is the new cell a t-15?

Try moving the switch to off then back to auto. Wait 10 seconds then go to instant salinity (has a "-" in front).

Is the heater gas valve on?

I have a tf-100 kit but there is nothing for the salt so I will get it checked tomorrow.

-2200 on the instant salinity
The new cell is a t-15

Gas valve is on and I can hear it click and can smell the gas briefly when it tries to kick on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The IF code could mean a bad ignitor which does happen often on the Hayward ED units, if that is what you have. It could also be a bad control board where the igniter plugs into. Check out to make sure where the igniter plugs in on the board is not lose. I have sen the solder spots break over time thus causing a similar issue like you are seeing.

Thanks for the help everyone!

The salt was confirmed low at 2200 so I will be adding more tomorrow.

For the heater I found this on another thread and it fired up so I will order a new Flame Sensor.
"Same problem with H250 purchased last year.
I think you have the same problem. Try this (Hayward temp fix). The blower cover on the right side of the blower has holes in it. Cover up half the holes with tape and see if the heater lights and stays lit. If it does you have to replace the flame sensor with the new type. According to Hayward you can operate the heater with the tape in place with no damage. This is a manufacturers defect."

Last edited:
What is the exact model of Hayward heater do you have? I'm guessing you have the FD series unit? I have never heard of the "test" that you mentioned above. Can you also copy and paste the link to that thread?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.