Help a newbie, first K2006 results

May 19, 2017
Seattle
Hi all, just opened the pool and after receiving my K2006 test kit, have initial results below. My pH is extremely acidic (yellow color, well below scale) which helps explain why we are replacing the heater this year. I realize a lot of work is required, curious about the order of what to attack 1st, as I assume adding chemicals will impact multiple readings.

Current Readings
FC 0
CC 0
pH 5?
TA 0 (turned pink immediately after adding R8, before R12)
CH 100
CYA 0

Adjustments needed via Pool Math:
FC: Add 267 oz of 8.25% bleach (2 gallons)
pH: Add 498 oz of Borax (7.5 boxes of 65oz Mule Team Borax)
TA: Add 563 oz of Baking Soda (2.5 boxes of 13.5 lb Baking Soda)
CH Add 710 oz of Calcium Chloride (4.5 lbs De-Icer)
CYA: Add 167 oz of stabilizer (pool store??)

First year using TFPC, excited!!

gEGIxPW.jpg

Bleach first, but with no CYA your target is 3FC, which is a little over 1 jug of bleach

Next, TA to 50. That's about 20 pounds of baking soda.

Then pH. Recheck it after the TA has been boosted and had time to mix . Borax is the usual method, but with your super acidic water and low TA, Soda Ash/Washing Soda/pH Up might not be a bad idea if you already have some leftovers. The K-2006 has the base demand test, so it would be the simplest way to calculate the dose of that and hit it on the first try.

I am curious about the CYA results. Super acidic water and dissolved heaters indicate to me that you've been chlorinating with trichlor pucks, and they also leave behind a lot of CYA. You did let the water circulate before grabbing a sample, I hope. If you got a lot of rain it could be stratified.

Thanks Richard, took your advice (though added a bit more Chlorine to get closer to 6ppm target. Ordered DeIcer, Stabilizer, and SodaAsh from Amazon, arriving tomorrow. Numbers looking good so far... plan to continue aerating spa which overflows into pool overnight, to raise PH and lower TA.

Current Readings
FC 6.2
CC 0.6
pH 7.0
TA 110
CH 100
CYA 0

Much better numbers, congratulations to a great start. Next step is to raise CYA to 30. Dont add all of the recommended amount by pool math, start with about 100 oz in a sock hanging in front of a return and squeeze regularly, then test after 24 hrs. Make sure pump is running 24/7 until all the numbers are in range.

Felipe

Thanks Richard, took your advice (though added a bit more Chlorine to get closer to 6ppm target. Ordered DeIcer, Stabilizer, and SodaAsh from Amazon, arriving tomorrow. Numbers looking good so far... plan to continue aerating spa which overflows into pool overnight, to raise PH and lower TA.

Current Readings
FC 6.2
CC 0.6
pH 7.0
TA 110
CH 100
CYA 0
What did you target for TA? It looks like you overshot some, so either you aimed high, your pool is smaller than you think, or the first test was wrong somehow. But anyway, by the time the soda ash arrives you may not need it. pH could rise into swimmable range by then.

With the hot tub jets running overnight, pH came up though TA didn't decrease. Looks like I'll just store the soda ash for future use. I aimed a little higher with the TA assuming I could bring it down with pH control through aeration. Chlorine also dropped significantly, though perhaps this has more to do with the pull turning over (I only have a skimmer, I imagine it takes time to mix the water at the bottom of the pool)

Would this be considered safe/swimmable range while we wait for de-icer and stabilizer?

Current Readings
FC 2.8
CC 0.0
pH 7.5
TA 110
CH 75
CYA 0

With the hot tub jets running overnight, pH came up though TA didn't decrease. Looks like I'll just store the soda ash for future use. I aimed a little higher with the TA assuming I could bring it down with pH control through aeration. Chlorine also dropped significantly, though perhaps this has more to do with the pull turning over (I only have a skimmer, I imagine it takes time to mix the water at the bottom of the pool)

Would this be considered safe/swimmable range while we wait for de-icer and stabilizer?

Current Readings
FC 2.8
CC 0.0
pH 7.5
TA 110
CH 75
CYA 0
If the water is clear enough to see to the bottom, yes. pH and FC are acceptable, given the low CYA level. Hop in. :splash:

If you click on the "Pool Math" link above, add your pool info and then scroll down to the "Effects of Adding Chemicals" section you can plug in how much the stabilizer you added should raise your CYA. Based upon a 30k gallon pool, 64oz (4lbs) should have raised your CYA by only 16.

Do it for yourself, but it looks like you need to double your amount.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.