Opening pool algae question

Sep 23, 2014
stoughton, ma
Hi
Just a little confused about the order of things when pool is filled with algae. ( last 2 years I opened the pool was clear. Don't know what happened this past winter) So I know how to deal with the algae from reading through this site. (SLAM) But wasn't sure if I start with the SLAM or try to adjust my other stuff and then SLAM. I took a water sample yesterday and got CC 0, PH 7.5, TA 30, CYA 25, CH 100. I'm sure the numbers will change once I have the pump running for awhile. From reading through this site I read to lower PH to around 7.2 before SLAM. Also that with such low TA won't my PH jump around. Basically my question is in what order do I fix things at opening when I have a pretty bad algae problem? Also I have a DE filter, will the algae screw up my filter since I have to add DE powder to it when I start it.

this is what I was planning.

1. Scoop out as much solids as I could.
2. Start pump, add DE. Let run for a few hours.
3. Brush walls
4. Backwash as needed.
5. Retest water.
6. Adjust TA
7. Adjust PH
8. SLAM until clear

Hi
Just a little confused about the order of things when pool is filled with algae. ( last 2 years I opened the pool was clear. Don't know what happened this past winter) So I know how to deal with the algae from reading through this site. (SLAM) But wasn't sure if I start with the SLAM or try to adjust my other stuff and then SLAM. I took a water sample yesterday and got CC 0, PH 7.5, TA 30, CYA 25, CH 100. I'm sure the numbers will change once I have the pump running for awhile. From reading through this site I read to lower PH to around 7.2 before SLAM. Also that with such low TA won't my PH jump around. Basically my question is in what order do I fix things at opening when I have a pretty bad algae problem? Also I have a DE filter, will the algae screw up my filter since I have to add DE powder to it when I start it.

this is what I was planning.

1. Scoop out as much solids as I could.
2. Start pump, add DE. Let run for a few hours.
3. Brush walls
4. Backwash as needed.
5. Retest water.
6. Adjust TA
7. Adjust PH
8. SLAM until clear
Sounds like a good plan. I would only add enough baking soda to raise TA to 50ppm or so at first. What is your fill water TA?

What test kit do you have, I don't see one in your signature.

Thanks for the quick response. I have the TF-100. I keep the pool just about full for closing due to high water table lifting my vinyl liner a few years ago, so since then I just cap the skimmer and keep water level up at closing. So instead of filling I am probably draining out some water. So no TA from fill water. How long do I have to wait to retest the TA after adding the baking soda?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.