Questions on Pipe sizing and runs

May 23, 2017
New York
First post here on TFP!

I recently bought a house with a ~40k gal in-ground pool. Roughly 45x20 with a L kicker It has 3 returns and 2 skimmers. All the piping is 1 1/2 at the pad and the runs. I recently upgraded my pool pump to variable speed 3hp Pentair Intelliflo. I feel the pipes are not adequte enough for the efficiency and flow I am looking for. From all the research I have done, it seems I need either 2 1/2 or 3 inch pipes. I also think I need to upgrade my DE filter to a 60sq one. I was looking at the Pentair DE filter for that size.

The current pipes are in good shape, but we are redoing our patio, and concrete will be put down in about 3 weeks to go with new pavers. I would like to fix this piping situation myself if possible before the concrete is pours and becoming inaccessible.

I guess I need some help justifying my thoughts on the larger filter, the increase pipe size and the potential reconfiguration of the runs themselves. If anyone can talk me thru what is best practice here I would like to go with the options that will future proof what we have. Cost is not much of a concern if we are talking hundreds of dollars.

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

R,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all big pool owners.... :p

Personally I believe that you are wanting to "fix" something that does not need to be fixed.

I have two rent houses that both have the 3 HP IntelliFlo pumps, they also have 2" plumbing at the pad but all the return and suction lines are 1.5"... They have been running just fine for about three years. There is just not a lot you will gain by trying to re-pipe your whole pool. One of these pools has a 48 sg. ft. DE filter and the other a 60 sg. ft. filter. Both work just fine.

I don't believe that it will cost you any less to run with 1.5" pipes vs. 2" pipes.

What is it the pump is not doing with your current pipes?

But, let's see what some of our other members have to say...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R/

R,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all big pool owners.... :p

Personally I believe that you are wanting to "fix" something that does not need to be fixed.

I have two rent houses that both have the 3 HP IntelliFlo pumps, they also have 2" plumbing at the pad but all the return and suction lines are 1.5"... They have been running just fine for about three years. There is just not a lot you will gain by trying to re-pipe your whole pool. One of these pools has a 48 sg. ft. DE filter and the other a 60 sg. ft. filter. Both work just fine.

I don't believe that it will cost you any less to run with 1.5" pipes vs. 2" pipes.

What is it the pump is not doing with your current pipes?

But, let's see what some of our other members have to say...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R/

Jim thanks for replying. Right now the distance from the filter to the closest return or skimmer is probably around 50 feet, while the other skimmer and 2 other returns are around 100 feet away from the pump. I think the distance plus I am uncertain on how the return lines we run. I am not getting much pressure from the returns that are distant even at 3100 RPM. I am thinking the return lines are all one 1 1/2" black poly run with each return using a t-fitting. This I believe is causing the reduction in the other 2 returns. Shouldn't there be at least a larger diameter pipe as a main that lead to 2 separate runs? (1 to the closest return and 1 to the 2 other farther returns that are close together) Right now both skimmers are daisy chained as well on one 1 1/2" run. Also the current pad PVC is 1 1/2" as well.

My other concern is that this pump can push over 100gpm, but 1 1/2 inch schedule 40 is rated at 44gpm. I was thinking the pad should be at least 2 inch, and the larger 60sq filter for the gpm value increase. The runs don't need to be 3 inch, but the reduction in resistance should translate into more efficiency for energy. Running the PVC ourselves would only be around $400 total. This in my mind is worth not having to potentially tear up concrete later on.

Thanks again for the feedback. Hopefully other join in the discussion.

R,

Well you have convinced me... :p My pools all have pretty short runs to the pool and I did not think of the length of run you have...

I think it would be worthwhile to separate the skimmers and run individual pipes back to the pad. And, if you are going to do that, you may as well do the rest, it sure can hurt anything.

Running the IntelliFlo at 3100 RPM is not much different than have a single speed pump.. :(

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Why do you need such high flow requirements?

Jim is correct, if you're going to do anything, split the skimmer from the main drain and make both lines home runs. Redoing all the face piping at the pad in 2" will look nice but won't do anything for increased flow rates.

The whole purpose of a VS pump is to run them longer at lower speeds to save electricity.

I honestly don't know what I am trying to accomplish. I just figured while I have access to change the pipes give all the ground will be torn up at the time, I could upsize them to improve on the turnover that is possible. Also the far returns seem to have little to no pressure compared to the closer one. I feel this is because it is daisy chained, and not independently ran.

- - - Updated - - -

Would moving the pump much closer to the pool improve the performance? I did think about moving it about 10 feet away rather than 50-100 feet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.