OB in VEGAS - Another one!!!! :)

Jeev

Silver Supporter
May 7, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Hey all -

Seeing all these amazing OB's in Vegas has motivated me (and my wife) to get started on transforming our dirt backyard into our paradise at home! I have already learned so much from all the threads and the amazing help from Big Will and SPL who I will be stealing some design ideas from.

Here are the basics that I am sure we will change:

20x40, 23ft wide at each of the cut outs for the steps, full width 12in deep wet deck (23ft), 3ft to 6.5ft deep, SWG, spa with one sheer on each side (2) including fire. The pavers will be french layout travertine, coping will be bullnose rectangular travertine that is one or two shades darker then the pavers, light blue glass waterline tiles with and accent line on the steps and bench. From reading this forum I want a robot but the wife really wants pop-ups so 50/50 but am definitely going to go with two skimmers on an selectable valve. Also going fully automated control unit that can be controlled by smartphones, VS pump and probably a 1hp pump for the water features. I have included the very 1st draft below and already have a few changes: Fire pit seating area is going to be moved farther away under a gazebo and the fire features will be round copper colored bowls. Please chime in if you have any ideas as I feel its missing something but maybe its just because this is a draft and there is no landscaping in it.

I would like to start this process in the next 2 months with the DIG but I am not rushing is as I don't mind getting exactly what I want if it takes a little longer.

If you all have any ideas or insights please let me know as I am a total newbie and just started the process. I will update this thread with more pics as soon as my silver membership goes through that I just purchased :).

I want to say thank you to all of you for the immense amount of information you have put on this site and the great sense of camaraderie and helpfulness you foster here, I would not have taken this project on if it wasn't for this site.

Sanjeev

SANJEEV_007.jpgIMG_0010.jpgIMG_0009.jpgSANJEEV_007.jpg

SANJEEV_008.jpgSANJEEV_003.jpgSANJEEV_004.jpgSANJEEV_005.jpg

Last edited:
You are off to a great start. Lots of character to your design. Picking out finishes and hoping like heck they work together is probably the most agonizing part. Good luck and know you have a lot of support out here.

Awesome design!
A few things you may want to consider.
I know your pool is really long, however, 3ft is REALLY shallow. Hold a tape measure up to your side and you can see where the water will go.
You may want to consider bubblers on the large sun shelf you have, I personally don't have a shelf but if I did I would do them cause they look cool :)
If you plan on sitting on the back portion of the pool by the spa you may consider making the platform a little wider . I can't tell the scale from the pics but if it can't fit chairs it would be awesome to have them up there especially around the fire feature.
Really looking forward to your build and don't hesitate to ask any questions, we are all learning together

I will jump in on Wills comments. The bubblers are awesome. If I could change one thing on my build, I would have done two of them. My original plan was a three foot shallow end but changed it to three and a half at the last minute. Very happy I made that change.

Thank you all for the input! Great suggestion about the bubblers I just checked those out online and they are definitely cool, I will add them to the plans.

Will - After measuring out 3ft you are 100% correct thank you, I am going to go 3.5ft after the wet deck down to 6.5ft. The back portion of the pool will be wide enough to put regular chairs up there its just hard to tell in scale.

Some more Vegas input... your 12 in deep tanning shelf.. in order to have it 12 inch deep, you will need a step down as well, total from top of deck to bottom is a maximum of 12 inch without a step... FYI.. mine ended up being about 7-8 inches deep (top of water to bottom, because I didn't want a step on it. Anything else you need, anyone of the guys that have responded, including me, can help you with local subs.. Design is very classic! and that's a big pool! I would think of where you want LED lighting... sheer descents, bubblers, etc... only because you need to thing about the type of equip you want.. and computer control..

Some more Vegas input... your 12 in deep tanning shelf.. in order to have it 12 inch deep, you will need a step down as well, total from top of deck to bottom is a maximum of 12 inch without a step... FYI.. mine ended up being about 7-8 inches deep (top of water to bottom, because I didn't want a step on it. Anything else you need, anyone of the guys that have responded, including me, can help you with local subs.. Design is very classic! and that's a big pool! I would think of where you want LED lighting... sheer descents, bubblers, etc... only because you need to thing about the type of equip you want.. and computer control..

We are planning for a small step on the shelf since we definitely wanted it 12in deep, the plan is to tuck it into the corner against the front bench so it will be as hidden as possible. Thank you for the help, I have the Vegas sub list that has been floating around and will be picking out the details, equipment ext in the next few weeks. Then its off to get the permits :)

Thanks again.
Jeev

Hi everyone!! I've been MIA for a few weeks due to our baby girl being born two weeks ago! I was thinking I would be able to start the build with a newborn but that is proving to be tough since the little one is sucking up a lot of time :). It is our 1st so I definitely underestimated the first few weeks. I am using this time to finalize the plans and start gathering the quotes. I have attached the most recent revision with LED bubblers and light placement what do you guys think? Maybe its just me being anal but i just feel like there is something missing...... I am going to go with the LED color changing lights do you think the three shown on the plan will be enough?

View attachment PARASAD DRAFT 5-24.pdf

Here are some ideas I got from users on this site for bling on the spill over / borders I like it a lot. I've been "window shopping"..

423128ed4f1170efaeb6c3f23e7f2439.jpg
And some ideas on the bowls / fire features on each side of the spa:
traditional-pool.jpg

In Las Vegas you will have high CH and TA in your water. With water falls and other 'pretty' items you create significant aeration. This will drive up pH and you will need to actively manage pH with acid. This will happen irregardless of the waterfalls but the extra aeration can be an issue. Also you will have calcium buildup so using stacked stone, etc can be an issue when you have to clean off that calcium buildup.

Also consider using a SWCG - makes adding chlorine really easy.

Due to the high CH water you will need to drain/refill your pool every 12-18 months. So be sure you are set up to do that too.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In Las Vegas you will have high CH and TA in your water. With water falls and other 'pretty' items you create significant aeration. This will drive up pH and you will need to actively manage pH with acid. This will happen irregardless of the waterfalls but the extra aeration can be an issue. Also you will have calcium buildup so using stacked stone, etc can be an issue when you have to clean off that calcium buildup.

Also consider using a SWCG - makes adding chlorine really easy.

Due to the high CH water you will need to drain/refill your pool every 12-18 months. So be sure you are set up to do that too.

Take care.

Thank you that is very good insight. With that information I will not run the water features all the time and yes I am going to have an automated SWCG.

Congrats on the newborn! Design looks really cool...love the fire and water concept. Putting two bubblers on the large ledge will not be a regret. Do you plan to have plants or small trees behind the pool? If so is there going to be enough room?? Just looks tight from the pics. SWG seems to be the way to go from what I have learned from TFP but I am no expert and a first time pool build/owner. Consider water depth carefully as the heat will have a big effect. We started at 3.5' depth and changed to 4' on each end and 5.5' in the middle. There is so much valuable info on this site and folks here will look out for you so read as much as you can and ask lots of questions. Oh, take lots of pics since this gives the folks providing feedback the best way to help...

With the inlaws in town helping with the baby I have made some progress, I had the dog run built so the fur balls won't escape / lick the workers to death. I will have plans and engineering done this week, permits next week and hopefully a hole in my back yard the week after :) !! Here are some updated renderings, my plans and a list of the equipment I am planning on. I have been scouring build threads and speaking to Big Will to get all my info do far. This site is absolutely great and I am looking forward to some feedback from the experts. Reading all the previous build threads helps me a lot in making the correct choices.

Preliminary pool specs:
20x40 in ground gunite, 8'6"x20 wet deck 14'' deep with two LED bubblers, 3' shallow end (my wife and her family are short so we are sticking with 3ft) to a 6'6'' deep end, perimeter 149', area 795, 63sqft spa with 6 jets, 23,768 gallons, two skimmers, two drains.
There are 4 looped returns listed and I'm not sure what they are?
I am ordering a trouble free test kit today.

Here is the main equipment I am going with but I have a few questions.
The guy who did my plans put an IC40 salt cell but based on what I have read here its better to go bigger (IC60) correct?
I know people here are not big on the in floor cleaning systems but my wife is 100% against a robot :( and really liked the inflow system in her last home so I'm stuck with it. With that being said are there any recommendations on brands / systems to go with?
Im thinking a 520 sqft cartridge filter will be big enough?
What is the difference between Easytouch and Intellitouch? I looked in the Pentair website and it seems the Easytouch is the more flexible higher end system?

Pool Equipment
ItemBrandModel #Specs
Automation / ControlPentair521150Easytouch 8 w IC60
Pentair522104Wireless screen logic
HeaterRaypackP-R406A-EN-X #52 (14945)Cupro Nickle, 399k BTU, High alt 2k-6k
FilterPentairCCP520Cartridge, 520 sq ft
In floor CleaningAA
Pump CirculationPentairIntelliFlo 0110183hp VSP, 16 amps / 230V
Pump Water FeaturePentairIntelliFlo 0110183hp VSP, 16 amps / 230V
Blower2hp
Wet Deck LED Bubblers
Salt GeneratorPentair521105 (IC60P)60k Gallons Cell included with Easytouch.
Pool Lights (3)Pentair6010015 colors, LED ($540 each)
Spa Lights (1)Pentair6401225 Colors, LED
LED bubblers x2Pentair5800068 colors, 100' cord ($400 each)

Attachments

• SANJEEV_011.jpg
    SANJEEV_011.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 495
  • SANJEEV_001.jpg
    SANJEEV_001.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 502
  • SANJEEV_012.jpg
    SANJEEV_012.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 503
  • SANJEEV_002.jpg
    SANJEEV_002.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 496
  • Plan.jpg
    Plan.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 502
Have you paid attention to the prevailing wind direction in your yard? I know this can be tricky in Vegas as it always seems to change. I know for our yard 90% of the time it's either north or south. I only aske because right now you have your skimmers east and west. Might not make your skimmers as effective as you would like.

I would also think about umbrella sleeves if you want them. Both in the wet deck and outside the pool. We have 10 and I wish I had about 15.

Thank you!! The umbrella Sleeves are a great addition and I will do that. Will also suggested that I put in a vac suction port even though I have infloor, great ideal and I will do that as well. Cheers and I will update with dig pics :)

With the inlaws in town helping with the baby I have made some progress, I had the dog run built so the fur balls won't escape / lick the workers to death. I will have plans and engineering done this week, permits next week and hopefully a hole in my back yard the week after :) !! Here are some updated renderings, my plans and a list of the equipment I am planning on. I have been scouring build threads and speaking to Big Will to get all my info do far. This site is absolutely great and I am looking forward to some feedback from the experts. Reading all the previous build threads helps me a lot in making the correct choices.

Preliminary pool specs:
20x40 in ground gunite, 8'6"x20 wet deck 14'' deep with two LED bubblers, 3' shallow end (my wife and her family are short so we are sticking with 3ft) to a 6'6'' deep end, perimeter 149', area 795, 63sqft spa with 6 jets, 23,768 gallons, two skimmers, two drains.
There are 4 looped returns listed and I'm not sure what they are?
I am ordering a trouble free test kit today.

Here is the main equipment I am going with but I have a few questions.
The guy who did my plans put an IC40 salt cell but based on what I have read here its better to go bigger (IC60) correct?
I know people here are not big on the in floor cleaning systems but my wife is 100% against a robot :( and really liked the inflow system in her last home so I'm stuck with it. With that being said are there any recommendations on brands / systems to go with?
Im thinking a 520 sqft cartridge filter will be big enough?
What is the difference between Easytouch and Intellitouch? I looked in the Pentair website and it seems the Easytouch is the more flexible higher end system?

Pool Equipment
ItemBrandModel #Specs
Automation / ControlPentair521150Easytouch 8 w IC60
Pentair522104Wireless screen logic
HeaterRaypackP-R406A-EN-X #52 (14945)Cupro Nickle, 399k BTU, High alt 2k-6k
FilterPentairCCP520Cartridge, 520 sq ft
In floor CleaningAA
Pump CirculationPentairIntelliFlo 0110183hp VSP, 16 amps / 230V
Pump Water FeaturePentairIntelliFlo 0110183hp VSP, 16 amps / 230V
Blower2hp
Wet Deck LED Bubblers
Salt GeneratorPentair521105 (IC60P)60k Gallons Cell included with Easytouch.
Pool Lights (3)Pentair6010015 colors, LED ($540 each)
Spa Lights (1)Pentair6401225 Colors, LED
LED bubblers x2Pentair5800068 colors, 100' cord ($400 each)

I'll chime in on the I floor cleaning. My pool is 18x38 rectangle with 8x18 wet deck. One of my struggles in planning was infloor or not. Now that I have it I love it! I noticed you have A & A on your equipment list. I have the paramount PV3. Going on 2 years with no issues! I've had to pull out the manual vac maybe six times, only after heavy wind storms just for a quick clean up!

Forget the pool! I want to see pictures of the chocolate lab! I have a 3.5 year old one myself and he's our baby (and he's my boy!)! In fact, he's the driving factor for us looking to get a pool sooner than later. Here's a pic of him in his baby pool. His name's 'Chewie', full name is 'Chewbacca'.

20150720_160437.jpg

But back to the pool - Man, I love that large shelf! My wife and I are torn between free-form and rectangular. I start thinking free-form, then I see the awesome shelf area on a rectangular....

I'll be watching this build.

Have you paid attention to the prevailing wind direction in your yard? I know this can be tricky in Vegas as it always seems to change. I know for our yard 90% of the time it's either north or south. I only aske because right now you have your skimmers east and west. Might not make your skimmers as effective as you would like.

I would also think about umbrella sleeves if you want them. Both in the wet deck and outside the pool. We have 10 and I wish I had about 15.

Very good point on the wind. Im my area it is usually from the north but we have high cinderblock walls that redirect it through the yard. I am going to spread some leafs in the yard and se where they end up in a few days. Thankyou

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.