White milky stringy substance

gregdewaldjr

Gold Supporter
May 3, 2017
Edwardsville, IL
We purchased a house last October with a pool and just opened it up April 18th. We hired a pool company to open it since we have no experience in this area. The water appeared pretty clear until they vaccumed and treated it (not sure what they treated it with but they dumped a bucket of something in) and the water clouded up for about 24 hours. That following day I noticed some white milky stringy like substance hanging off the skimmers kinda floating on top of the water. I gave the pool a good couple of brushings and vacuums. The water is crystal clear and we have had no issues at all. The water gets tested daily and the numbers have stayed relatively close to reading below since opening with some minor adjustments to keep the PH in check. The pool was closed in September of last year and had a solid vinyl cover installed on it for the winter. No water was drained out of it for the closing. My worry is that we may have something hiding in the water or the plumbing that we may not be aware of and I wanted to run it by you all before we start utilizing the pool. We are new to TFP and appreciate all the information you are putting out there for people like us that aren't quite sure what we're doing yet. Thanks for all the help.

FC=7
CC=0
TA=120
PH=7.6
CYA=60
Borates=50
CH=300
Salt=3200

With those numbers I would say your water is good to go! Now if you want to be extra careful you can push your FC up to just below SLAM level for your CYA and let it mix overnight. That way you KNOW everything is dead!

I would call the people who opened it for you and ask what they put in the pool as I really want to know LOL

Kim:kim:

The water is crystal clear and we haven't had any issues. I'm just curious about what that substance was and if it is going to re-appear in the near future.

- - - Updated - - -

How long should I keep it up around slam level? Just push it up and let it creep back down to our normal operating range?

You posted test results today in post #1

That wasn't at SLAM level. We've all answered your questions based on the fact that your pool is currently clear? That FC was not at shock level for your CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm pretty sure it was some type of shock. When I brought the water sample to the pool store the following day (that was prior to finding this site) they said our FC was 15. We do our own testing now. The white milky stringy substance was probably there when the pool was opened and we just didn't notice till the following day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.