What to do on vacation?

May 10, 2017
Arlington va
So I am in the process of a SLAM and had a question on what to do once the SLAM is complete. In the past I have used Dichlor tabs in the skimmers for Chlorine. I am willing to use bleach this summer as you all suggested post SLAM. Question is what do you all do when you go on vacation for a week? When I use the tabs, I would just have a neighbor come and throw a few in mid week. Is it ok to use the tabs for the week while we are away instead of having someone come over daily to add the bleach or will I mess everything up? Other suggestions?
Thanks

First I would recommend buying a cheap floater from Wal Mart or Lowes/Home Depot. It's not a good idea to put tabs in a skimmer.

To answer your question, if you have a neighbor willing to help that is great. I would bring the pool up to SLAM levels just before I left, have the neighbor add X amount of bleach (calculate your daily FC loss, aim for bringing FC back up to 75% of SLAM level) discussed ahead of time so there is no confusion and drop the floater in the pool. That would get you by for a week easy.

Just out of curiosity, what is your current CYA? If it is high or even right where you want it and you have a neighbor willing to add bleach you could just ask them to do that for you. Always with the pump running!

For a trip of a couple days bringing things up to SLAM level is quite adequate. If you also use a solar cover you can usually get up to a week. For anything longer, or if you don't have a cover, bringing to SLAM and putting some tablets in a floater will be just fine. In your pool a 3 inch trichlor (tablets are trichlor, not dichlor) tablet will add about 0.8 ppm CYA, so a few of those used during vacation is not going to send your CYA sky high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.