IntelliFloVS pump program...is this a logical setup?

sandman98

Silver Supporter
Aug 17, 2016
Warminster, PA
Hi All,
New pool installed last fall, opened this spring. PB installed an IntellifloVS pump at my request. When the electrician wired the panel, he ran the pump off its own breaker. The SWG and HeatPump are both connected to the Intermatic mechanical timer supplied in the breaker box.

I currently have the Pump running 10a to 8p at 1500rpm (which is above the flow threshold for both the SWG and Heat pump). What makes the most sense:

1. Forget about the mechanical timer, and just let the pump's program run the system. The HP and SWG will only run when pump flow is sufficient to trigger them.

2. Program the pump from say 9:50a to 8:10p, and set the Intermatic timer to 10a to 8p (for the HP and SWG).

I'd really like to take option 1, just in case power failure causes the timers to go out of sync. But is there a problem just using the pump flow to trigger the SWG and HP function? Any help would be much appreciated.

Sand,

Running the SWCG and only using the flow switch is not recommended.. It is basically a safety issue. Every SWCG manual specifically says that the controller must have the power removed when the pump is off. The flow switch is only used as a secondary safety device just in case the primary device fails. This is because the SWCG produces chlorine gas....

With the pump, it is not really a safety issue, a failure there will might damage the heater, but nothing will blow up.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,
Thanks for the reply. It seems that only the SWG is wired through the mechanical timer, so I guess I'll keep the SWG on the timer--given the risk of generating Hydrogen and Chlorine gases.

Does anyone know if there is risk to the Heat Pump by using the flow switch as its sole on/off switch?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.