Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: New Build - Ohio

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Wadsworth, OH, USA
    Posts
    18

    New Build - Ohio

    I've been lurking, the pool decision process is really difficult especially given my engineering tendencies and wanting to do all the research. Seems that builders in our area are all over the place for pricing, quality, etc. Regardless, I've identified one, checked references, seems decent. Here's what I'm looking at:

    Trilogy Gravity (Rectangle, 16x35)
    2" PVC Plumbing
    Pump - Pentair super flow variable speed or Whisperflo high performance. (Recommendations?)
    Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge (or sand filter?)
    Rheem Gas Heater 266 BTU
    Pentair GloBrite x1 (considering a second...)
    Jandy SWG (considering pentair instead)

    Extras:
    Auto Cover
    Badu Swim Jet (ok, this is a splurge, is it worth it?)

    What am I missing?
    • Should I install sacrificial anodes b/c SWG?
    • The pump/filter system will be located outside the fence, trying to figure out if any sort of intelligent system would be a good add? (For reference my house has control4 and is wired with other automation, as i'm a software engineer)


    I should have some design pics today.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad Jimrahbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Bedford, TX
    Posts
    9,274

    Re: New Build - Ohio

    Bandit,

    Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all Engineers with pool building questions..

    Engineers should not be allowed to build pools because I'm pretty sure the process causes serious and permanent brain damage.

    Just based upon your comments about automation, I would recommend the IntelliFlo variable speed pump vs. the SuperFlo. This is because Pentair's EasyTouch automation system is designed to work with the IntelliFlo, while SuperFlo is not.

    You don't "need" automation, but once you have it, you will never want to give it back...

    If you get automation, the SWG, the Pump, and the Automation system need to be one brand so that they can communicate together. Get all Jandy, or all Pentair, or all anything, but don't try to mix and match.

    Thanks for posting,

    Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Wadsworth, OH, USA
    Posts
    18

    Re: New Build - Ohio

    Would the heater need to be the same brand as well?

    answered my own question, they seem to work with any heater.

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad Jimrahbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Bedford, TX
    Posts
    9,274

    Re: New Build - Ohio

    B,

    One more thing... the SWCG system needs to be rated at 2 x the volume of your pool. This is because the published ratings are based on running 24/7 at 100%, something that you really don't want to do.

    As you say, almost any heater will work..

    Here is a write up a did a while ago about the EasyTouch automation system... (Just trying to spend your money)


    Many people have pools without automation and they work just fine. I do, however, think it is important to know the advantages and the disadvantages of having an automation system.

    1. Automation will help you with pool maintenance, but it will not replace the need for you to test your water, understand what you are looking at, and then making sure your water is balanced. (Another reason you need the accuracy of the TF100 test kit.)

    2. The main downside to automation is cost. So before going too far down this path, you might ask your PB what it's going to cost. That said, the best time to install automation is when the pool is being built, because all the connections to the system can be made without having to figure out how you are to get power across 50' of new deck. Also, the additional cost, when compared to the cost of the pool, will be miniscule.

    3. Automation systems work best when the same brand is used because then the pieces can "talk" to together. So, in your case I would recommend the EasyTouch 4 (or 8) that has a built in power supply for the SWG and generally comes with the SWG and two valves. ScreenLogic2 is an absolute requirement if you want to be able to control things from your PC, Tablet, or Phone.

    Here is a list of what I think the advantages are:

    1. Appearance. Instead of having a bunch of different boxes hanging on your wall you have one, professional looking enclosure.

    2. Circuit Breaker Panel. The bottom half of the enclosure is a circuit-breaker panel where the breakers for your pool equipment (Pumps, Heater, etc.) are located. This panel is also an excellent place to add surge protector, which is an absolute must if you have the Intelliflo pump. Even if you do not get the automation, make sure your PB includes a surge protector for the pump.

    3. SWG Control. Without automation, your SWG will have to have a timer, synced to the pump timer so that it does not run when the pump is off. This function is built into the EasyTouch.

    4. Spa mode and SWG output. Normally all the water flows through the SWG, so when in the Spa mode, the EasyTouch reduces the amount of chlorine the SWG produces, so that the Spa users are not subjected to high levels of chlorine.

    5. Pool Lighting. The EasyTouch allows you to control your pool lighting from your PC and/or from a schedule. This is another reason to add the EasyTouch now. Once your pool light is wired to switches inside your house, it might be very difficult to get the wiring to any automation system.

    6. Control of Spill-over and bubblers. Right now I'm sure you are thinking I want that spillover running 24-hours a day because it is so beautiful.. Well, after a few weeks of having your pH go through the roof, you'll appreciate the ability to only turn it on, when you want it on. The same with the bubblers. With the Easytouch, you can program them to run on a schedule for a few minutes a day to keep the everything properly chlorinated or when you want to "show off" for your guests..

    7. Relay Control. The EasyTouch 4 has four (really three) relays that can be used to control other things, such as landscape lights. (The EasyTouch has 8 (really 7) relays.

    8. Built in Valve controls. The EasyTouch has the ability to control 4 valves. Two work for switching between the Pool and Spa modes, while two others can be programmed to do whatever you might want, like bubbler control. I would note that a lot of bubblers are controlled by manual valves that cannot be automated. You need to be sure to tell your PB that you want Jandy style valves for your bubbler control.

    9. Heater Control. The EasyTouch can control your heater.. So, you can be inside and tell your PC what temperature you want the Spa to be and it will tell you when it is ready.

    10. ScreenLogic. ScreenLogic allows you to program the EasyTouch with various schedules. It lets you see most all of the inputs and output to the EasyTouch and lets you decide what you want on/off and in the case of your SWG, lets you adjust the % of output on the fly.

    Thanks,

    Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    NE/Pa
    Posts
    1,503

    Re: New Build - Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by bandit0013 View Post
    I've been lurking, the pool decision process is really difficult especially given my engineering tendencies and wanting to do all the research. Seems that builders in our area are all over the place for pricing, quality, etc. Regardless, I've identified one, checked references, seems decent. Here's what I'm looking at:

    Trilogy Gravity (Rectangle, 16x35)
    2" PVC Plumbing
    Pump - Pentair super flow variable speed or Whisperflo high performance. (Recommendations?)
    Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge (or sand filter?)
    Rheem Gas Heater 266 BTU
    Pentair GloBrite x1 (considering a second...)
    Jandy SWG (considering pentair instead)

    Extras:
    Auto Cover
    Badu Swim Jet (ok, this is a splurge, is it worth it?)

    What am I missing?
    • Should I install sacrificial anodes b/c SWG?
    • The pump/filter system will be located outside the fence, trying to figure out if any sort of intelligent system would be a good add? (For reference my house has control4 and is wired with other automation, as i'm a software engineer)


    I should have some design pics today.

    regarding automation: what is ur other automation? i know micasa verde has a plugin for pentair. does control4 have a plugin? you would think they would with how big they r. my house runs on a mix mostly HAI and micasaverde but the interface is all iRule for inside my home and then I use HAI for controlling everything outside my home network.
    35x23/20 free form gunite 3.5-6 feet water. approx. 20,000 gallons. no spa or water features. 2 skim, 2 ret, floor ret, floor return. 2 inch solid. suction cleaning line. 1.5 inch solid. super blue diamond brite. NPT Gemstone Blue 2x2 with custom waterjet cut Disney Mickey markers. all pentair equipment. master temp 300,000 BTU. de 60. inteliflo 3.0 VS. swg ic40. 3 globrite LED lights. easy touch 4 with screen logic. tf-100/ salt kit

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Wadsworth, OH, USA
    Posts
    18

    Re: New Build - Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by jimim View Post
    regarding automation: what is ur other automation? i know micasa verde has a plugin for pentair. does control4 have a plugin? you would think they would with how big they r. my house runs on a mix mostly HAI and micasaverde but the interface is all iRule for inside my home and then I use HAI for controlling everything outside my home network.
    It's a control4 system. I use it mostly for the whole home audio, camera/security. It also does the tv signals over IP.

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    NE/Pa
    Posts
    1,503

    Re: New Build - Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by bandit0013 View Post
    It's a control4 system. I use it mostly for the whole home audio, camera/security. It also does the tv signals over IP.

    Right so does control 4 have a plugin for pentair or Hayward. That is how I would dictate what automation I use. That way u can control through 1 app along with schedules for lighting and such. Macros. I know. We r a hai dealer installer along with irule. I know they don't have plugins. Worse case I'll run it through micasa verde or I'll see about writing a script for use through Irule. Micasa verde is always my last resort cause it's flakey at times but it gets the job done getting what I need into irule so I can run larger more complex macros throughout the house.

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Wadsworth, OH, USA
    Posts
    18

    Re: New Build - Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by jimim View Post
    Right so does control 4 have a plugin for pentair or Hayward. That is how I would dictate what automation I use. That way u can control through 1 app along with schedules for lighting and such. Macros. I know. We r a hai dealer installer along with irule. I know they don't have plugins. Worse case I'll run it through micasa verde or I'll see about writing a script for use through Irule. Micasa verde is always my last resort cause it's flakey at times but it gets the job done getting what I need into irule so I can run larger more complex macros throughout the house.
    Thanks, checking into it with my control4 dealer. It looks like they do have a driver, but he's going to find out more.

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    NE/Pa
    Posts
    1,503

    Re: New Build - Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by bandit0013 View Post
    Thanks, checking into it with my control4 dealer. It looks like they do have a driver, but he's going to find out more.
    there ya go. cool. hopefully it's for pentair. make sure it has all feedback and is full featured. sometimes they are really dumbed down, but i would figure with control4 they won't be. at least this way you can make some nice macros if everything is in one place.
    35x23/20 free form gunite 3.5-6 feet water. approx. 20,000 gallons. no spa or water features. 2 skim, 2 ret, floor ret, floor return. 2 inch solid. suction cleaning line. 1.5 inch solid. super blue diamond brite. NPT Gemstone Blue 2x2 with custom waterjet cut Disney Mickey markers. all pentair equipment. master temp 300,000 BTU. de 60. inteliflo 3.0 VS. swg ic40. 3 globrite LED lights. easy touch 4 with screen logic. tf-100/ salt kit

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Wadsworth, OH, USA
    Posts
    18

    Re: New Build - Ohio

    Deposit day!

    Ok based on the automation stuff and other feedback on the forum we did go with the EasyTouch 8 circuit + ScreenLogic and went with the IntelliFlo pump, the IC-40 SWG, and the pentair cartridge filter. Dropped the Badu swim jets... the more I researched the more I came to the conclusion that it wasn't right for me. We did go with the auto cover and the Rheem heater stayed (research saying Rheem is a solid heater). We also added 2 bubblers for the tanning ledge and will have 2 lights (any recommendations on placement?).

    Should break ground in June! The "design" software they use is kind of crappy, didn't have sandstone... but the idea is 2-3 steps down on the patio with natural stone wall/bed on the right which leads to the pool with a fire pit area. I'm sure the real thing will look way better than the design concept.

    poolv1.jpg

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Medina, OH
    Posts
    2

    Re: New Build - Ohio

    Hi, Mrs bandit0013 here with a photo of the back yard and proposed layout artfully rendered with a garden hose and empty planting tubes.

    panorama.jpg
    Panorama taken from the deck off the main level of the house. Left side is west followed by north i the center and east is to the right in the photo.

    We have stairs leading from the driveway to the back at the left edge of the photo.
    The black rectangles are the corners of the pool, and the hose marks the fire pit are to the east side of the pool.
    The slope away from the house is more pronounced in the nw corner.

    I tried working out the flow of the new patio in SmartDraw, because I really did not think the proposal looked anything like what I had envisioned. But I seem to have reached my file quota so can't share.
    16x35 21k gallons IG fiberglass pool with brand? autocover,
    x cartridge filter, x SWC, brand? model? type? pump and brand? model? gas heater.
    Looking at installation in June 2017

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Medina, OH
    Posts
    2

    Re: New Build - Ohio

    pool concept.jpg
    OK, I read up on the photo posting options and I guess this is my last attachment upload, will create a hosted album for anything that follows as to not hog space. =)
    16x35 21k gallons IG fiberglass pool with brand? autocover,
    x cartridge filter, x SWC, brand? model? type? pump and brand? model? gas heater.
    Looking at installation in June 2017

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •