Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I done with SLAM?

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I done with SLAM?

Hi. I've been doing my first SLAM. My water is very clear but not totally sparkling. It's definitely better than all last season. If I passed the OCLT last night is it time to let the FC go down to normal? I don't want to stop too soon and have to start over. How do I get my sparkle back?? Is it just a matter of running the filter until the tiny invisible stuff is filtered out? The filter cartridge is brand new and I'm using a filter sock on the skimmer basket.

Thanks
    13,500 gal. AG pool
    2 hp, 2 speed pump with 24" sand filter
    TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I done with SLAM?

Nice to meet you via TFP . Assuming you have 0 CC also, it sounds like you're done and congratulations!!

You can let it start dropping but still do another OCLT to re-assure yourself if you like. If the clarity is better than you've seen before, it's probably just dead stuff yet to be filtered. Anything you can do to keep the water stirred up will help get the dust to the filter. Keeping the pump at 24/7 will also help.

Well done!
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, K-1106 and CCL test kits; Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWCG 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; Other family pools 10K SWCG and 15K on liquid; PoolMath app subscriber; | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

Great. I will do another OCLT tonight/tomorrow morning just to be certain. And I will try to brush more than once a day to keep things stirred up a bit. Thanks to all who have made TFP forum and website possible.
    13,500 gal. AG pool
    TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

How's the pool looking?

12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, K-1106 and CCL test kits; Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWCG 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; Other family pools 10K SWCG and 15K on liquid; PoolMath app subscriber; | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

5. Back To Top    #5

It's clear! The cloudiness is gone. Each morning some stuff has settled at the bottom and I brush it up. It seem to be getting caught in the filter and sock. Seems less each day. I'm not sure, but I don't think the FC is going down too rapidly. And there's less than 0.5 CC. (Barely changes color, but not much of pink tint) The FC was 13.5 last night and 12.5 this morning. Ph was 7.2. Do I need to bring up ph with borax? Alkalinity was 130 on Monday night, so it is a bit high.

13,500 gal. AG pool
    TF100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I would continue the SLAM until you are satisfied with the clarity. Filtering is the big factor right now (24/7) but having high FC to kill ANYTHING is really cheap insurance. You are virtually there. We'd love to see a pic.....before and after if you have them.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Ignore the pH right now. When you've passed all three tests and the SLAM is complete, let the FC drop below 10 and test and adjust everything then.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Am I done with SLAM?

Here are the pics of before and after. Before is May 3. I wasn't yet using TFP nor did I have my TF-100 test kit. The after is today. I haven't put the steps in because I want to clean them well first. There were a couple stray leaves on top of the water that I am about to remove. Also, there is a good bit of staining on the bottom but I don't want to let the FC down to work on that at this time. Any suggestions that don't require doing that? Thanks again to all of you!
    13,500 gal. AG pool
    TF100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

I'd say that's an improvement!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I'd say that's an improvement!
    It's all thanks to this forum! Thanks again.

13,500 gal. AG pool
    TF100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Finish up the SLAM completely and then ask the question again about the stains. They may improve on their own.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School