Am I done with SLAM?

May 4, 2017
SC
Hi. I've been doing my first SLAM. My water is very clear but not totally sparkling. It's definitely better than all last season. If I passed the OCLT last night is it time to let the FC go down to normal? I don't want to stop too soon and have to start over. How do I get my sparkle back?? Is it just a matter of running the filter until the tiny invisible stuff is filtered out? The filter cartridge is brand new and I'm using a filter sock on the skimmer basket.

Nice to meet you via TFP :). Assuming you have 0 CC also, it sounds like you're done and congratulations!! :)

You can let it start dropping but still do another OCLT to re-assure yourself if you like. If the clarity is better than you've seen before, it's probably just dead stuff yet to be filtered. Anything you can do to keep the water stirred up will help get the dust to the filter. Keeping the pump at 24/7 will also help.

Well done!

Great. I will do another OCLT tonight/tomorrow morning just to be certain. And I will try to brush more than once a day to keep things stirred up a bit. Thanks to all who have made TFP forum and website possible.

It's clear! The cloudiness is gone. Each morning some stuff has settled at the bottom and I brush it up. It seem to be getting caught in the filter and sock. Seems less each day. I'm not sure, but I don't think the FC is going down too rapidly. And there's less than 0.5 CC. (Barely changes color, but not much of pink tint) The FC was 13.5 last night and 12.5 this morning. Ph was 7.2. Do I need to bring up ph with borax? Alkalinity was 130 on Monday night, so it is a bit high.

I would continue the SLAM until you are satisfied with the clarity. Filtering is the big factor right now (24/7) but having high FC to kill ANYTHING is really cheap insurance. You are virtually there. We'd love to see a pic.....before and after if you have them.

3a0bebcb591abfe1435f70bc4aca49ee.jpg

c5a554f9ee14f0a3b22d1c7374d9cb12.jpg

Here are the pics of before and after. Before is May 3. I wasn't yet using TFP nor did I have my TF-100 test kit. The after is today. I haven't put the steps in because I want to clean them well first. There were a couple stray leaves on top of the water that I am about to remove. Also, there is a good bit of staining on the bottom but I don't want to let the FC down to work on that at this time. Any suggestions that don't require doing that? Thanks again to all of you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.